New England help needed

Search

New England help needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England help needed

I'd like to take my wife and two young children (ages 4 and 1) to New England or Nova Scotia for a week this summer, and I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on where to go. We'd be flying from Cincinnati. Also, is Canada cheaper?

Here's what we'd like (ideally):

1. A clean, quiet place in either an inn or house that costs around $100 a night.

2. The fewer crowds the better.

3. Natural scenery is better than museums, stores, amusement parks, etc. Think peaceful.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor Maine are supposed to be great.

http://www.acadiamagic.com

(Haven't been myself unfortunately...)
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:24 AM

My kids and I had an absolutely wonderful time at the B&B in Conway, NH known simply as The Farm by the River. Lots of activities, farm animals (real ones, not a petting zoo), absolutely gorgeous scenery, hiking trails and other outdoorsy activities within a few minutes' drive. Super-friendly dog that will fetch stuffed animals for you!

The rates might be a tiny bit higher than you wanted, but it's an absolutely wonderful place that somehow manages to be romantic and family-oriented at the same time, and will leave you with treasured memories.

And if you get tired of all the beauty, peace, and quiet, it's only a couple of miles from lots of tourist attractions and a mega discount-outlet area.

http://www.farmbytheriver.com/
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:41 AM

If the choice is between coastal Maine and Nova Scotia, NS would have fewer people.

I've been to Acadia and NS, and prefer Acadia mostly because it's easier for us to get to, and we like having lots of hiking and restaurant choices.

In NS, I would recommend Cape Breton as the most scenic part. Because of the exchange rate, Canada would probably be cheaper, but I imagine flying to Halifax would be more costly than say, Bangor, Maine.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:02 AM

You don't need to fly to Halifax, you can take the ferry (The Cat) from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia. I have been to both Bar Harbor and Cape Breton and I think that Acadia is just as beautiful as Cape Breton. I think you will find a lot of crowds in Bar Harbor in the summer months though. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Canada is often a bargain because of the exchange rate.

While Cape Breton is beautiful, I am not sure that doing a tour of Cape Breton and the rest of Nova Scotia is the best idea for kids that young - too much driving and too much scenery - they want to be out doing things, and how much hiking can you do with a one year old. You might want to find a place to park yourself on Nova Scotia for a week.

Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park can get a little crowded in the summer.

I admire your hope that you can "think peaceful" with kids that young - good luck.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM

I have not checked the Canada board but you should post there also. New England is both expensive and crowded in the Summer. Your dollars will go a LOT farther in Canada and there are much fewer crowds. That being said, Nova Scotia is not the type of place where people usually "park" themselves for a week--it is a place to drive and take in the scenery like one of the above posters said. Flying into Halifax is your best option unless you want to spend many extra hours in travel time. You did not mention it but the compact Price Edward Island might be the best fit for your requirements. Be advised: you should avoid the main tourist areas of PEI that do get crowded in the summer. Plenty of places to stay away from them. I think you can fly into Charlottetown.