Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

travelling from Maine to Nova Scotia - Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
hope you can help, my husband is travelling to Bar Harbour for a couple of days, then wanting to go to Halifax, NS for a couple of days and then to Pittsburgh, other than keep flying back to JFK, is there an easier way? My husband doesnt drive so reliant on public transport.... finding it really difficult, may have to even cancel the trip.......
We have a friend in Halifax who can drive to pick him up - maybe a ferry to Digby ( but then how to get to the terminal from Bar Harbour???
I used to be a travel agent and im pulling my hair out! Please Help!
Thanks Isla
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:44 AM

There is no longer any ferry service from Maine to NS. Even taking a bus back to Portland, ME - the closest real airport that I know of - involves flying Portland-Toronto-Halifax.

There is no bus service I can find between either place.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 06:57 AM

This won't help now, but if he ends up cancelling, conside a Canada-New England cruise out of New York. Princess runs cruises that cover Bar Harbor, Halifax, Boston, Newport, Prince Edward Island, and Cape Breton. It's an easy and cost effective way to see the entire area in a short period of time.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 07:05 AM

There used to be bus service from Bangor Maine to Bar Harbor, and from Bangor to Nova Scotia. At least in the summer time.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM

I'm afraid to say there are *NO* great options via public transport from Bar Harbor Maine to Halifax to Pittsburgh. Four years ago, there used to be a ferry from Bar Harbor ME to Yarmouth NS, no longer. Even last year, there was a bus from Bangor, ME to Saint John, NB, but I can't even seem to find that anymore. *sigh* Sometimes dreams are harder to make happen than one might imagine. I think it looks like it'll have to be some option like fly to JFK/Toronto, I'm sorry to say.