Search

Boston - Maine/PEI very prelim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston - Maine/PEI very prelim

Hello,

We are scrapping our plans for Cape Cod and instead are considering a road trip to Maine and PEI this July/August. We are departing from Boston and have about a week.
1. We really want to go to PEI and Maine (first time to both places).
2. We know that we cannot get more than a feel of these places in such a short time but want a road trip.
3. We want to have a relaxing vacation with stops for lobster, swimming.
4. We want to avoid highways and see the coast instead.
5. We want to stay in B&B's preferably along the coast but cost is an issue. Not necessary to stay in town. The perfect B&B will dictate the stops..

Any suggestions?

Prelim:
Day 1: Drive from Boston to Bar Harbor. Explore town.
Day 2: Acadia national park, drive to ______.Spend night there.
Day 3: Drive to PEI.Night there
Day 4: Drive around PEI or towards Nova Scotia.Night there(in PEI or Nova Scotia).
Day 5: Drive south and stay _____.
Day 6. Drive south to Boston....

I am trying to keep daily drive times to 4-5 hours to keep things easy.

What do you think?
Susan

(posted also on the US forum)
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 04:03 AM

Enjoy lobster at Abel's lobster pound when you're in Acadia NP.

With only a week, I'd suggest doing PEI rather than NS. NS is very big and will require too much driving to see. PEI is small with only driving 30 to 40 minutes to get to different highlights.

Also, since you mention swimming, they have warmer waters and the red sand beaches are wonderful. If you haven't done so yet, visit PEI's official tourism website and order their visitor's kit. Its guidebook is a great resource of sights to see and b&b's, etc. and together with their map is everything you'll need to plan your trip.

Enjoy-la!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
LJ

Do you really mean all driving or are you considering the CAT ferry from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth, NS, and then on up to PEI. The expense may be worth it if you are keen to avoid highways...the alternative through New Brunswick is a,long haul on major highways. If you start in Yarmouth, NS, you can spend a day (or two, its very interesting) on the Lighthouse Trail and wander up to PEI via Halifax.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Because of the lengthy drive times involved we are now considering restricting the trip to Maine.Thank you for your suggestions. I am saving them for the future.

Sudhin
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Since you're (apparently) starting out in Boston, and have only one week, it makes much more sense to stick to Maine.

You really don't even need to go as far north as Bar Harbor to enjoy the coast of Maine. In fact, it's fogged in much of the year.

For seacoast and relaxing, I'd recommend picking two destinations, tops, and exploring from those.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM
LJ

Yes, I do agree with Djkbooks...I hadn't quite realized you were only planning on one week altogether!

The Bar Harbour/Acadia area of Maine is very different from the more southern resort destinations. My family has been holidaying in the Blue Hill/Castine/Stonington/Mt Desert/Ellesworth/Bar Harbour region for 25 years, so clearly we are biased! Seriously, I don't think I EVER remember being fogged in for more than one (or at most 2)days in all that time in the summers.

You may want to re-post on the US forum to get specific advice.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM

I'm sure gas prices are a factor, but if you can overcome that barrier, I think you should go into Canada as previously planned.

Although I've gotta admit that I would opt for Nova Scotia over PEI.

(maybe I should clarify that you've never been to NS before either?)

PEI would certainly fall under "relaxing vacation" with stops for Lobster and Swimming. Life there isn't fast-paced at all.

Your interest in seeing the coast is another point in the Nova Scotia column as the ocean/bay scenery in NS is remarkable.

Hope you figure out something that fits your interests ideally.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
ltt

bar harbor area deserves at least 2 full days.