Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I include Bar Harbor Maine w/ Nova Scotia? Itinerary help.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 11 day autumn trip to Nova Scotia. I'm wondering if this itinerary would work:
3 days Bar Harbor
3 days Peggy,s cove or Lunenburg
4 days Cape Breton
1 day Halifax(fly home)
Is this to much traveling and too busy in the amount of time I have? Should I cut out Bar Harbor?
Please help.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:14 PM
BAK

I'm curious about your to and from travel.

If you are driving, it's a different plan than flying, but you say you are leaving Halifax by plane.

So how do you get to Bar Harbor?

If you, say, fly to Portland, Maine, go up the coast, visit Br harbor, take a boat to Nova Scotia, etc., that's one thing, and not a bad plan.

But if you fly into Halifax, and then rent a car and drive to Bar Harbor (maybe by road, maybe by road plus ferry) and then drive back to Halifax, well, I think that's a lot of travel.

Bar Harbor is a wonderful place, but I think it should be on a different trip.

BAK

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:04 AM

I second BAK's comments.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I flew into Halifax, stayed one night there. It's nice, but probably a day or two is enough. Then drove to Cape Breton, stayed at Keltic Lodge in Ingonish. Beautiful place. Old world, coat and tie preferred in Dining room, rooms on smaller side, but great setting. Toured the Cape. You could do this in one day, but you could also spend several days enjoying the scenery. Made our way to Wolfville to see the Tides at the Bay of Fundy (one day driving from Breton) then caught high speed ferry to Bar Harbor. Flew home from Portland. Great place also.All this done in a weekend-weekend timeframe. Depends on how long you like to linger in any one place. You'll enjoy what ever you do there.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:06 AM

11 days in Ns, hmmm... I would do Halifax for one and a halfa day (on the half day, drive over the bridge to Darmtouth, then down to Easter Passage. There is a great board walk there with little shops and eateries. Go to the Fish Shack (?) for the best lobster sandwich you'll ever have - for $5.99 CDN). On the rest of the half day, stary your drive to Lunenburg, but definitly take the old highway - much mor scenic. In fact, it is very close to Peggy's Cove, so see that first. But - don't eat near Peggy's Cove. It's a tourist trap and the food is embarrassing to Maritimers! Overnight it in Lunenburg, but spend more time in Mahone Bay (Sea Spray Cafe has great eats). On the afternoon of the thrid day I would drive back to Halifax and overnight it (eat at the Economy SHoe Shop!). The next morning drive down to Wolfville (about 1.25 hour). Eat at Actons or the Grand Pre Winery. From there head to Blomidon where you'll see beautiful views. If you wish to overnight it, stay at Blomidon Inn or Victoria's Inn. The next day I would drive back to Halifax for another overnighter. From there I would drive to Cape Breton and finish the trip. Lose Bar Harbor! Whatever you do, enjoy!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I visit Nova Scotia and Bar Harbor in the same trip (used speedy ferry service from Yarmouth because of the car)I think in 11 day you can easy visit both spots.You will enjoy Acadia national park. I just wondering - why you want to spend 3 days for Peggy Cove.
Half a day trip from Halifax will be more than enough
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM

I am biased since I live in Maine but I think the route suggested from Bar Harbor via the speedy ferry "The Cat" to Nova Scotia is the way to go. I wouldn't bother going through Portland, mostly due to ferry from here being an overnight trip. More to the point, Bar Harbor is(as we say in Maine) "awesome." especially in the fall.