Acadia National Park

Search

Acadia National Park

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acadia National Park

Any recommendations for a day in Acadia Park...we'll be staying in Bar Harbor. The park obviously is huge and just wondering if there is a don't miss...thank you
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM

Okay I'll give a first quick reply...Acadia is a nice spot for just taking the circle drive. You can pretty much do it in a day but also a couple of days. And with a little hiking. Definitely get out of Bar Harbor except for eating. And of course along the Maine coast there is much to see. We took in the American Folk Festival in Bangor.

Ozarksbill [email protected]
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:26 AM

To get a good overview of the park, there is a loop drive that pretty much hits the highlights. Spend some time along the coast and some time up in the mountains. You can bike along the carriage roads I believe. There are a couple cool hikes up the mountains (Beehive & Precipice Trail). You can also drive up to the top of Cadiallac Mountain which is the highest point in the park. Along the coast, there is the beach, thunder hole, and we did a cool hike from Bar Harbor to Baker Island (I believe) that the trail only reveals itself during low tide.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM

Watch the sun rise on the top of Cadillac Mtn. Take a swim at sand beach, bike on carriage roads or around the loop road, whale watch, see puffins, hike a bit, have lunch at Jordan pond house, swim in a lake, kayak, eat lobsters, and drink beer. That's what we did while we were up there this year. It's always a favorite of mine! Of course some of these things are done out of Bar Harbor. You can spend as little or as much time in Acadia as you like; it's all worth it.

Skip Café This Way; not worth the wait!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM

Hi,
I recommend any of the following:
hike along the ocean to Otter Point (either yourself or with a guide) - beautiful scenery
hike on the trail that overlooks Sand Beach - magnificent.
Thunder Hole
Windjammer cruise in Bar Harbor
Lobster dinner at Thurston's Lobster Pound (in Bernard I think).
Drive to top of Cadillac Mountain
Lunch or dinner at Tan Turtle Tavern in Northeast Harbor.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Tan Turtle burned down two summers ago. You're all packing in too much stuff for someone who only had one day. JDPres - what's your pleasure? Give us some guidance and we can be more specific with recommendations.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM

We ate at Tan Turtle in Aug 2007 so it must have burned shortly after that. Too bad!! My suggestions aren't meant for the poster to do in one day - they are a list for him/her to pick and choose from, depending on interests.