Search

Bar Harbor hiking?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bar Harbor hiking?

Has anyone hiked in the Bar Harbor area? We're looking for short, day hikes in the area. We will be there in 3 weeks. Thank you.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:07 AM
ron

http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisi...g_trails06.pdf

I picked up a trail guide at the National Park book store and chose my walks after discussion with one of the park rangers. I did the Cadillac Mountain North Ridge one afternoon, the Ocean Path another morning and an extended Acadia Mountain trail in the afternoon.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM

There are so many trails to choose from that it's hard to recommend without knowing your preferred level of difficulty. The Cadillac North Ridge is not rigorous and I like it, but the top of the mountain is likely to be crowded with tour buses. OTOH, there is a gift shop where you can get a snack. Nothing better than a cold Phish Pop on a hot day. Also, you could drive to the top of Cadillac; the views are amazing.
Nearby is Champlain Mt, which has great views and is a shorter hike.
If you would enjoy tea and popovers, or a meal after your hike, the North and South Bubble trails are near the Jordan Pond House, where there is a restaurant. Check first to see if the restaurant has closed for the season.
A personal favorite has been Penobscot Mt--a bit more rigorous, but less traveled with good views.
Another personal favorite is on the back side of MDI, Beach Mountain in Somesville. It is a shorter, less rigorous hike with great views. Take the left trail at the fork; climb up the fire tower at the top and make the loop back down. Best views are on the downward trail. This hike is good for kids and for adults who aren't out to prove anything.

I avoid the trails around Jordan Pond, where although fairly flat, the footing can be difficult. Every few years I have been persuaded to hike around the pond and always say' "never again!"

Have a wonderful visit to MDI.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

We just returned from our 7 or 8th hiking trip To Acadia. I highly recommend picking up a book to help you decide. We've used the following for a number of years, and it's still pretty useful, but a few trails have changed a bit, this book doesn't seem to have been updated.

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Acadia-...pr_product_top

~Liz
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM

We just came back from 3 nights in Bar Harbor at the Manor House Inn..really recommend it. We hiked around Jordan Pond and loved it. 3 mile loop. Had popovers at Jordan Pond Restaurand, as others have suggested. We also walked along the Ocean Path, for wonderful views. It's close to the road for the most part, not a trail. We also hiked around Lower Hadlock Pond and Long Pond. We were too late to rent bikes and ride the carriage roads, as the shuttle bus wasn't running. In Bar Harbor itself, you can walk the tidal path to Bar Island (right across from our inn) which was fun, and walk the Ocean Path along Bar Harbor itself. The path is only a mile long, but very pretty and you can loop back through the village. Worth it.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 05:33 AM

I usually recommend Gorham mountain as the most bang for your buck- best view for least hiking effort. Flying mountain also has a great view and is the shortest mountain on the island.

The Man O War brook side of Acadia mountain has great views (turn around as you are hiking up, there is no view at the top) but it is steeper than the other 2 and can be slippery if wet. I like to go up this side and down the other (no view) since I enjoy the hike up but want to get down as quickly/easily as possible.

If you have kids, the South bubble is fun. You can try to push bubble rock off. Also, ship's harbor and wonderland trails are nice. They take you down to the ocean where you can poke around in all the tide pools.