Maui: West Cost or South?

Old Aug 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui: West Cost or South?

My wife and I are staying on Maui in late June for 5 days after 4 days in Kauai.

We are leaning to the South as we prefer the quieter, less crowded more upscale feel, but have been warned from friends that should we stay in the South, and having to drive to the West for dinner at the better restaurants, and then returning to the South in the pitch darkness isn't the easiest of ventures?

First, correct me if I'm wrong in assuming the better restaurants (interesting places with sunset views vs. pure upscale dining) are on the West coast of Maui.

Any hints are welcome about the driving (I've been warned of rush hour already) from the South to the West and back.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM

We stayed in Wailea and loved it; if you want uncrowded, upscale, and romantic, I think you would love this area. We didn't have any problems driving around.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM

There are plenty of upscale places to eat in Wailea.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Quiet, beautiful, upscale, incredible views, easy access to dining? If you're considering West Maui, you should check Kapalua area.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Both are beautiful and you cannot go wrong either way. I'd stay in either place, but would choose the W side. We felt there was more to do and the energy was more upbeat.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM

For what you say are your preferences, I think you are wise to choose the South side. But you won't have to drive to the West side to find good restaurants. There are plenty on the South side. But you should take a day trip to the West side to see if you'd like to stay there on your next trip.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 06:04 AM

It's probably true that there are more restaurants with sunset and ocean views on the West side. If you want to be close to those and still be in a very quiet, upscale, less crowded area, you could stay in the Kapalua Resort. You won't want to drive too often from South side to West side just to have dinner. It would get tiresome after a while.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Full moonis June 26, 2010. If you have the moon to guide you in it's fullish phases you should be fine unless you are nervous drivers.

Personally, I prefer west Maui but there is a place for everyone.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I have stayed on the west coast a number of times. As people stated above there are lots of restaurants in Kapalua. Kaanapali Beach is my preferred location but, since I haven't been for two years, it may have been developed more.
Friends of ours stayed on the south and commented that it rained a few times. That doesn't happen on the west coast. Rain is rare in that area.
I have not had any problems at all with the driving. Many of the roads operate on the principle that there is a maximum speed limit and a minimum speed limit and so traffic flows really well. The only thing to watch is that hire cars are not allowed on the less well built roads at the extreme north and south of the island. Last time there someone had removed the warning road signs and so we got onto the northern extremity road. It was immediately apparent that we'd got off the main track and so we turned about and got back onto main roads.
Whichever you choose you will have a fantastic vacation. I have to wait until next year before re-visiting, sadly.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM

>>

Kaanapali Beach is developed now to the exact same extent it's always been (let's see, Hyatt, Westin, Sheraton and Kaanapali Beach hotels, Whaler and Kaanapali Alii condos, Marriott timeshare resort, Whaler's Village....that's it).
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 04:58 AM

So it HAS been developed. That's interesting. We have stayed at the Royal Lahaina on Kaanapali Beach and it was starting to look a little sad but, the last time we went (3 years ago??), it had been refurb'ed internally and was fabulous. It's located adjacent to a golf course and so the (non-Ocean)views are across the lovely golf course. In the evening it's so nice to take a 15 minute stroll next to the golf course and down to the Whalers Village shopping area - though some of the stores (the minority) are brand names that are way beyond my reach. The rest are fine and a smoothie as the sun sets is a wonderful memory.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:42 AM

David, I'm not sure what you mean. All those hotels and condos have been there for at least 25 years.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:30 AM

Wailea...Yes this area has "many" upscale resorts and the properties are quite spectacular. This side is dry and has warmer weather.
There is a restaurant called Nick's Fishmarket in the KeaLani Resort that is FANTASTIC. And the KeaLani resort appeared to be quite upscale with lots of pools and nice beach.
Hopefully the resorts in this area have some specials right now,since their prices seem to be on the highend for what you get. There is a shopping center, golf course and lots of resturants to choose from, one way in and one way out.
Lahina...This is a tourist spot that is a must, park at the Safeway and walk 2 blocks to the shore and resturants.
Try O'Ia or Pacific for Dinner, we celebrate the birthdays at these fantastic resturants, enjoying sunsets that are killer!
Kaanapali Beach...Lots of hotels, shopping, great beaches, a bit crowded since there is one way in and one way out and more people tend to stay here.
Just north of Kaanapali...Westin North Kaanapali Villas (timeshare) is on its own and the villas there are quite nice and upscale. Pools, beach, sunsets are great.
They have shuttles hourly that take you to both Kaanapali and Lahina so you don't get stuck in traffic or searching for a parking spot or if you have a bit too much to drink you get back to your resort easily. We have stayed here now twice and absolutely love it. We actually went on one of their invitation only specials...not open to the public. You have to have aninvitation and do the timeshare tour. We spent around $780.00, for the price we had to spend an hour and half on the tour, and it was well worth it, we received 5 nights/6 days in a garden villa, living area, sunken tub, separate shower, full size refridge, small kitchenette if you wanted to cook, washer and dryer so we don't bring some many clothes, a car, and a resort credit of $75.00!
I have since sent many many couples the invitation and they all come back with "great place, very nice rooms, close to everything, and we could not have stayed anywhere for that price for such a nice resort". Not sure if they still have this invitation, if you are interested in it let me know and we can get your information and do this offline.
Kapalua Bay...VERY UPSCALE...
Well, for 15 years this was our spot, we were planted at the Kapalua Bay Hotel in the same oceanfront room,(now torn down for some multi-million dollar condos)and sad to depart from this resort. The beaches are fantastic, quite upscale area and surroundings, multi million dollar properties and multi million views.
You get to see lots of turtles (one of the bays is called Turtle Bay), the golf courses are awesome (PGA has many events here)and it is a short drive to the more crowded happening spots.
The St. Regis, very upscale and the property is spectacular with beautiful grounds, has made its mark here, and they do have some pretty great specials.
Resturants we would recommed there would be "Sansi" you have to have reservations and there is always a wait, but the food is fantastic! The General Store for a true Hawaiian breakfast is a must, it sounds weird, but you have to do it!and yes it is a small store with a side resturant that all the locals go to, inexpensive and is a treat.

On the way to Hana..or just a bit further from the airport - for your last meal on the island.
There is a restaurant called "Mama's Fish House". All I can say is that this place is a must, you have got there, for a late lunch or dinner. It can be pricy depending on what you eat. But the grounds, the view, the atmosphere, the spectacular sunsets and fantastic food is worth every penny! Plus...The windsurfers are right on the point and pretty awesome to watch. Not sure if you are into windsurfing, if you are this is the place to go.

I am not a fan of Wailea as it seemed to crowded for me and I wanted to get away from crowds and have a great time beaching it, snorkeling and doing some golf. WE have spent many years in Kapalua and have always had great weather, sometimes a little windy.. We now stay at the Westin North Kaanapali Villas, go to Costco on the way out of the airport and pick up some staples. No sense spending money on breakfast or alchohal during the day when I can go to the room and open the refridge. We have put our expenses on golf, scuba, boat trips, dinners out, and go into the other resorts/towns for entertainment. When I want to really get spoiled I add daily maid service.

But then again I have spent over 15 years visiting this island.
Since this is your first trip and depending on your budget and activities you want to do could sway you one way or the other. You cannot go wrong either north or west....

Things to do...A must while you are there if you are boat people-Take the America's Cup Sailboat, takes about two/three hours and is thilling! when you get on the boat (facing the front of the boat..stern) stay on the right side, otherwise you get drenched!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM

"The St. Regis, very upscale and the property is spectacular with beautiful grounds, has made its mark here, and they do have some pretty great specials."

I think you mean the Ritz, right?
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM

You are right, it is the Ritz-Carlton! The St.Regis is on Kauai and not opened yet.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Tremendous responses! ThaitiGirl--thanks for the list. IT sounds like the driving isn't bad (and with a full moon, phew, no worries---thanks Suzie).

I sense a west-bias in the feedback, but it sounds like I simply just need to get to Maui, and the rest is done!

FYI, ThatiGirl, there was another recent thread that actually panned Pacific if this is the same place, but I am beginning to believe that Mamas Fish House is the best restaurant in the United States.

Mahala for the info!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM

I'll throw a wrench into the perceived west bias. I love the South Kihei to Wailea to Makena area. On my first 5 or so trips to Maui you couldn't drag me away from Kaanapali and Kapalua, then I visited Wailea and that was that. Contrary to other reports I have found the beaches not to be crowded at all. We rented a house in Makena and loved the seclusion and the proximity to some absolutely gorgeous beaches.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM

The restaurant is Sansei, not Sansi. It's the Ritz, not the St. Regis.

It's Mahalo, not Mahala.

Makena Beach IS one of the best beaches, but if you wanted to stay on the west side you can always drive to Makena and spend the day there. I personally don't care for Wailea unless you're gonna hole up in your condo or hotel and cook or eat in. If you want lots of restaurant and shopping choices nearby, the west is the place to be.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM

The name of the restaurant is Pacific'O and I can't imagine why anyone panned it. It is a fabulous on-the-beach setting with excellent food. BTW, has anyone mentioned yet that for a really gourmet luau experience you might want to try the Feast At LeLe (which is right next to Pacific'O).
Mama's FH is not the best restaurant in the US, but it's setting, ambience, and food make it one of the best on Maui (and also one of the most expensive). At lunch at Mama's, you'll see the ocean view in daylight and have more reasonable prices than at dinner time.