Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui: Would you stay up on the west shore or down in Wailea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which area is the more beautiful? I understand there is much more activity and traffic up on the west shore. Are there reasons why some might choose it over Wailea, however?
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM

The west area, I think, has more activity and is closer to Lahaina, and that is probably why some people prefer it. There are lots of hotels and restaurants there, too. We've stayed on the west side during several trips to Maui. However, I think next trip I'd like to try the south side. I think both are great, and it just depends on where you want to stay. The south seems more upscale.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Many choose Kaanapali because it is highly promoted by discount travel agencies, it has a lot of bargain packages, it has a real lively atmosphere with lots of young people, the hotels have great pools for kids, lots of great restaurants with ocean views, fun shopping, the beaches are really nice, and there are several good snorkeling spots. In short, it is just a really fun destination. However for those wishing less crowds and more peace and quiet, the resort areas that suit them better are Wailea and Kapalua.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM

To answer your question, I would stay in Wailea or Makena.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM

What time of year?

The west is more likely to be rainy or cool in the winter while Wailea is more likely to be warmer and drier.

I stay in Wailea because I am done with the traffic, noise, and large # of people in west Maui.

I much prefer the views from south Maui.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Are the beaches and snorkeling good in the Wailea area?
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Yes. The beaches in Wailea and Makena are wonderful. They are arguably the nicest on the island. Good snorkeling can be found at most of the beaches. My favorites are the rocks to the left at beach that fronts the Maui Prince, but the beach to the far right of the Makena Surf also had great snorkeling.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Yes, you'll have wonderful beaches with good snorkeling in the Wailea area. The local dive shop will give you a map showing the good spots.

Have fun!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM

We've stayed in both Wailea and Kapalua in February of different years. The weather was great in Wailea and very windy and rainy in Kapalua. I liked Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay better for swimming than I did the Wailea beaches, and it was much closer to Lahaina/Kanaapali for dinner options. When we go back, I'd love to stay at the Kea Lani again but since that's likely not in the cards, we'll probably stay in Kapalua again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM

We went a couple of years ago for our wedding anniversary. We couldn't decide either, so decided to spend 4 nights in the Kaanapalli area and 4 nights in Wailea. Kaanapalli is fun with much more activities going on. Wailea is much more quiet. We snorkeled both places, seen more ocean life in the Wailea area. Are you going for fun and adventure or for a quiet time away from people? It was just as beautiful at both. Good luck.