Yosemite - One Day Itinerary

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite - One Day Itinerary

Hey Fodorites!

I'm in need of a little advice. I'm driving from San Francisco to Yosemite park next weekend for a day and would like to hit the highlights in one Saturday. I'm assuming it's going to be very busy since it will be a holiday weekend so I plan on arriving early and leaving late.

I would like to see some neat areas like Yosemite Falls and Glacier Point and possibly get a nice two hour hike in. Can anyone recommend a hike or a possible single day itinerary?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Holiday weekend? You mean Labor Day? Do you know Bay Bridge will be closed?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM

One easy way to approach this is to hop on the free shuttles, with your map in hand that you can get in the park, and they will take you to the major scenic spots. Then rent bicycles to tour around the valley at a leisurely pace. There are hiking trails everywhere. You can get a trail map in the park so you can pick the trails suited for your ability level.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes, next weekend is Labor Day weekend. I was planning on taking the San Mateo bridge. Obviously this will add more time. I'm still weighing if it makes more sense to go a different weekend, but didn't have any plans for Labor Day, so thought next weekend makes the most sense.

Great recommendation on the bike! I didn't even think about that.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Good idea to get there early and park. Use the free shuttles to get around. It's probably best to hike early to beat the heat and crowds. How about a hike up the Mist Trail for as long as time (or your quads!) allow, then turn around. The lower part of the trail can be crowded, but it thins the further up you go.

Consider taking an open air tram tour of the valley (about 2 hrs?). Good way to wee major sites with ranger information.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activiti...dBusTours.aspx

Then use the shuttles to get around the park to further explore or go back to anything you saw on the tour.

If time allows drive to Glacier Point. Then head home. May be a long day though!
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Oops. I meant "see" major sites. Dont want to "wee" on any major sites!
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Good stuff Chuck! Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I'm still weighing if it makes more sense to go a different weekend, but didn't have any plans for Labor Day, so thought next weekend makes the most sense."

It makes MUCH more sense to do this a different weekend. It sounds like you have total flexibility -- if so avoid YNP over Labor Day weekend. It will be a zoo!

Do something in the SF area - Angel Island, or Half Moon Bay or anywhere other than Yosemite. Then go to YNP in Sept or Oct - you will enjoy it MUCH more.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Oh yeah - if you can, I'd choose another weekend. For holiday weekends, we always choose something off the beaten path or closer to home to minimize the madness. This labor day weekend we'll be up at Lassen national park. Although it is about 100 miles farther from SF than to Yosemite, on a holiday weekend, it is an easier drive because of traffic patterns.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Traffic starts to build up in the Valley on holiday weekends around 9:30 or 10am. If you can get in by 7:30 or so, you will probably be able to drive right in. Correspondingly, traffic leaving the park is at its peak starting mid-afternoon, so if you want to visit non-Valley destinations like Glacier Point, pay attention to the clock.

I'll echo the ideas of renting a bike or using the free shuttle buses (bikes are really the best way to get around in the summer). You can rent a bike at Curry Village or Yosemite Lodge and go from there.

The Mist Trail is a great hike. If you're looking to minimize the number of people you run into, I recommend starting before 9am, going up the Mist Trail and then coming down via the John Muir Trail. The connecting trail between the two is one of my favorite views of Vernal Fall, anyway.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM

I'm not sure whether this information is too late to reach you but check the National Park Yosemite website for information regarding road closures due to the fire. These closures might impact what you are able to do while in the park.