Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking For A Specific Montreal Restaurant

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to locate the name of a restaurant in old Montreal where we ate about 3-4 years ago (I know, it's probably not there anymore!). I believe it was built in an old prison and we ate in a room below ground level with sconces on the wall. We had an excellent dinner, but I cannot remember the name of it and have not seen it in any travel books. We found it listed in one of those free tourist books found in hotels, and I think it was a one-word name, a male name like "Bernie's". Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM

The restaurant you are looking for might be:

Da Emma Restaurant
514-392-1568
777, rue de la Commune Ouest,
Montréal, QC H3C 1Y1

It was build in an old women prison.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Could be Gibby's. Located on Place d'Youville, near McGill (not McGill College). It's a steak house. Would be the type of restaurant to advertise in tourist brochure.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:10 AM

I had thought of Gibby's in the old Youville stables, but so far as I know, it's not below ground level. The place that could meet the description is the Vieux St. Gabriel, which does have dining rooms in the old cellar (perhaps with sconces on the wall). However, I don't think it was ever a prison. It could be Da Emma, (basement of ex-prison), but Emma is certainly not a male name.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:59 AM

I thought of Gibby's as well, its not an old prison, but I did eat in a downstairs room there once, years ago, and it was that was actually a lot more enjoyable than the upstairs dining area; quieter, cosier, etc. And I think there were wall sconces.... so maybe it is Gibby's.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Gibby's sounds as if it might be the one. I know we entered at street level and there were dining rooms there, but we ate downstairs. It was divided into at least 3 smaller rooms because we were in the middle and could see diners through open "windows" on either side. I know it did not have a French name. I do not have a Montreal map handy right now, but I can probably narrow down the street when I dig a map out of my travel stuff. Thanks for the help - we were trying to describe it to friends and I had totally forgotten the name.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

We were in Montreal this week and the restaurant I was looking for was Gibby's! It does have a downstairs - a group of 150 were meeting there.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:04 AM

ah, Gibby's; you're making me want to eat there soon. It's an old standby and always consistent with quality. There is also a Gibby's in St. Sauveur.