Search

Lake O'Hara, Yoho

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake O'Hara, Yoho

Hello:

Could some one please advise me , if it is really worth it to experience and stay at the Lake O'Hara Lodge in Yoho Park. Is it also way more beautiful than the other mountain areas there. We are just making a special trip out to stay at Lake O'Hara, so wondering if it is worth the cost and giving up other things.
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I thought so. Two hikes are really outstanding: Lake Oesa and the highline trail to Lake MacArther. And if you want some awesome views, take the Yuckness Ledge route from Opabin Lake over to Lake Oesa. There is one spot where you look straight down about 1,000 feet into the blue green beauty of O'Hara.

If you are in really good shape, enter the contest to see who can circumnavigate the lake the quickest.
It is about 1.7 miles around the lake and the current record, as of late July, was something under 11 minutes.
It is a rough trail in places but some of those kids who work at the lodge go flying over that thing at a reckless pace. Ahh, to be 21 again, strong and agile.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

To Bob:

Thank you for your reply. We are booked for 3 nights at the lodge late
September. We love hiking, but not in great shape.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 01:00 PM

At age 70 I creak in more than a few joints. Watching some of those youngsters fly over those rocks on the lakeshore trail made me gasp.
But the highline to MacArthur is not all that bad. In a few places you climb up the rocks but I got there.
We came back the same way. The other trail drops down below lake level na traverses a tricky talus slope. Essentially you are down in a hole and cannot see much. The highline route is superior in my estimation.

''
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:25 PM

PS I will leave the record for circumnavigating the lakeshore trail to others. I was very tongue in cheek when I said that. If you do not do the trails, however, I am not sure what else you will do except gossip. The sitting room in the main lodgeis quite nice.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Dear Bob:

I read your reply. lol We will definately be hiking, just hope we don't get rained out. Also, we love to canoe so will do that too. I think I read they have canoes for rent.
Bye, take care, and thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM

The classic trails in the O;Hara area are:
Opabin lake. The eastern return trail is very steep. The detour to the viewpoint about two thirds of the way up is worth the digression.
Lake Oesa. Steep in places with stone steps.
Lake MacArthur. A classic if you take the highline.
Odaray Prospect: Goes through a bear habitat corrider. Restrictions apply. Check locally.
Linda Lake - the flattest of the bunch.
Big Larches trail to Schaeffer Lake
Wiwaxy Alpine route (All Souls route)
Steep and adventuresome.
Yuckness Ledge: connects Opabin and Oesa. At times it is a route and not a trail.
And there is the lake loop.
Hiking maps are available at La Relais, the day hiker shelter.
I hope it does not rain or snow on you.
I hiked up to Oesa once in the snow and almost fell in the lake before I saw it.

Have you arranged your bus schedule yet?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Dear Bob:

Thanks for the info.! I do have maps already and we have booked the bus with the hotel also. We leave from Toronto Sept. 20 and staying at the Post for 4 days then on to O'Hara.
Thanks again. Joan