Search

Lake Placid area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Placid area

We will only have 2 days in the Lake Placid area. We may hike to Mount March one of the days. We are not as interested in the Olympic experiences as we have see much of that at other Olympic sites. Any recommendations as to which area to locate: Lake Placid, Keene, or Lake Saranac? Thank you,
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:00 AM

This will be moved shortly but we like the Saranac area - very cute. And great little cafe for breakfast

Home - Blue Moon Cafe

Re the Olympic experience - we really enjoyed going up the ski jump. Great view. And when we were there the Freestyle Skiiers were practising using the ski jumps - it was great fun to watch.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 09:39 AM

If you are talking about Mount Marcy be aware it is a pretty stiff all day hike up and back. I’ve done it twice as a day hike and once backpacking, 360º views from up top are great. If you want the feel of climbing a mountain, but not up to Marcy try nearby Cascade Mountain.

Saranac Lake is a cute town, but I prefer Lake Placid for its variety of accommodations and restaurants from cheap to very high end. Also closer to the high peaks region trail heads. It does have a t-shirt shop or two, but not what I’d call touristy. I've only driven through Keene, very small/cute also close to the trail heads.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 09:39 AM
J62

Mt Marcy isn't typically a 1 day hike, but it can be done if you set out very early.

I too like the Saranac Lake area - rent a canoe or kayak. You can paddle either on the lake, or on one of the meandering rivers. There are several rental places in Saranac Lake who can give you more info. I've used St. Regis in the past.

There are plans in flight to construct a rail-trail from Lake Placid through the Adirondacks. I don't know if work has started or if any of the trail is open yet.
https://www.adirondackrailtrail.org/

If you like to open water swim there is a cable course on Mirror Lake - I know it's used frequently for races (OWS, or Tri's), - not sure whether it is open for anyone/anytime to use.

There are many miles of road biking routes (w/ hills) in the area. Grey Ghost bikes can provide you more info. Not sure if they rent bikes, but they can certainly point you in a direction to find out more.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for this infor, always helpful.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 05:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.revrail.com/ Keene is nice but super small. If you have the chance check out North Creek for the bike the rails. Great town with Gore Mountain.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. We had breakfast at the Blue Moon and also do the Rails to Trails in North Creek, loved it. There is another rail to bike some where near Raquette Lake. We also loved Saratoga Springs. We did a tour of the track and Ben did a terrific job. Also, wnet to a polo match.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 06:03 AM
J62

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.
In Saratoga, did you get to tour the backstretch/stables area? I find that tour to be the most interesting.
Polo is also a unique summer in Saratoga experience. We didn't get to any matches this year, but have been prior years with our tailgate party.