Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain National Park...Will be there next weekend ..any must see or do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Dick

We only have two days in the area.

Coming from the East we would do some short hikes but afraid the altitude diffence might discourage us from serious hikes.

Has anyone taken Taken Trail Ridge Road? Is it as good as it appears to be?

Thanks

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:16 AM
travellyn

Yes, Trail Ridge Road is great, a definite must-see. It may or may not be open all the way when you go. This time of year it can open and close through the course of a day, depending on conditions.

You are wise to consider the altitude in planning hikes; fortunately, there are some beautiful walks without a lot of elevation gain/loss. The walk around Bear Lake is very nice to start with. You can always go for more challenging walks as you find out how you're doing.

I always think that it's a good idea to stop by a visitors' center in a park to get recommendations from a ranger. The ranger can also tell you about prime wildlife observation spots.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:22 AM
sam

I have taken the trail ridge road and it is awesome! Very pretty, if you are coming from the east you will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think that the hikes are too hard. Buy a map/guide, pick one out and go. I think there is a info center on the top of the trail ridge road that will have some info.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Bill

Trail Ridge Road is as good as it appears. Please be aware that there are no guide (guard) rails along this road and it can reach some dizzying altitudes. I am not too fond of high places, but I made the drive with no problem.

As for the hikes, I'd recommend The Bear Lake trail (1/2 mile around the lake), the Emerald Lake Trail (1/2 mile up to Nymph Lake and continues on to Emerald Lake - it is an easy hike and the scenery is beautiful - especially Nymph Lake), and the Fern Lake Trail (the first 1.5 miles are relatively flat and easy - that is as far as I went). There is also a very flat and easy trail around Sprague Lake (see below for more on Sprague Lake). Drink plenty of water. I am from the east and I had no trouble on these short easy hikes. If and when I felt any sign of altitude sickness coming on I stopped and rested (I only experienced one slight headache, but that went away after I rested). I cannot stress enough how important it is that you drink plenty of water while hiking.

Another once in a lifetime experience you could do is to experience sunrise at either Sprague or Bear Lakes (both along Bear Lake Road). Get to either lake before sunrise (take a flashlight) and just wait...you will never have such an extraordinary experience elsewhere. Be sure to take a camera because if the water on the lakes is still you can get amazing shots of the surrounding mountain peaks reflecting on the water. There is nothing better than being at Sprague Lake (my favorite spot) with the breeze stirring through the pine trees and nature awakening with the sunrise.

You will love Rocky!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:54 PM
gail

FYI.... TRAIL RIDGE ROAD WAS CLOSED ON WEDNESDAY OF THIS WEEK DUE TO SNOWFALL ABOVE 8,000 FT. PLEASE CALL AHEAD TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY HAVE IT PLOWED AND RE-OPENED. (IT WON'T CLOSE FOR THE SEASON FOR ANOTHER SEVERAL WEEKS)

THE HIKE AROUND BEAR LAKE IS BEAUTIFUL AND VERY EASY. THE TRAIL UP TO EMERALD LAKE/NYMPH LAKE CAN BE A BIT MORE DIFFICULT FOR FOLKS FROM SEA LEVEL. BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF LARGE ROCKS TO SIT AND REST ON SHOULD YOU EXPERIENCE BREATHLESSNESS AND LIGHT-HEADEDNESS. IT IS WORTH THE HIKE TO SEE THE LAKES.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:59 PM
please

Gail,

Why are you shouting?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:05 PM
GAIL

ARE WE HYPER-SENSITIVE THIS EVENING?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Dick

Thanks for the sugggestions.

We will definitely do Trail Ridge Road.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Bill

Do the morning sunrise at the lakes also! It is a once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy Rocky!