Catholic mass in Montreal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Montreal next Sunday and the Basilique Notre-Dame-de-Montreal is on our "must see" list. Being American Catholics, we're considering attending mass there, and would appreciate assistance from anyone who's had this experience.

Is the mass easy to follow for those of us with limited French skills? Do they follow the practice of receiving Communion in the hand, as we do? Do they shake hands to offer the sign of peace? Do they hold hands during the "Our Father" as some American churces do? Is there anything else we should be aware of beforehand, to avoid offending the usual congregation?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Although I'm a long way from being a Catholic or a Montrealer, (I'm Jewish from Vancouver but a regular visitor to Montreal), I do know that many Catholics in Montreal are not French speaking and on the West Side there are at least as many Catholic churches as Jewish Synagogues where services are in English so I'm sure that you can be directed to one in your hotel. As to the services - I hope someone else can answer those questions.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Masses at Notre Dame are in French. However, the last time I was there for Sunday mass - a few years ago - the priest had everyone pray the Our Father in Latin, which was very inspiring given all the tourists in attendance.

Unless you sit in the first pew, you should be able to follow the visual cues regarding receiving the Eucharist, sign of peace, and holding hands during the praying of the Our Father. Don't worry about offending the usual congregation. About 50% of those in attendance when I was there were tourists. With your prayerful and respectful attitude, you will be fine. Go and worship in the French Canadian tradition. It will be an inspiring experience.

Mass on Saturday evening is at 17:00; on Sunday at 8, 9:30, 11, 12:30, 17:00. The Notre-Dame choir sings at the 11 AM mass according to the website: http://www.basiliquenddm.org/ - French version only.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:58 PM

When visiting in Quebec my wife & I normally take along one of the missals from our parish church so at least we can follow the readings in English. The Mass should be easy to follow. Yes, they do follow the practice of receiving Communion in the hand and shake hands as a sign of peace. One difference you will notice is that the congregation stands from the Sanctus to the Agnus Dei rather than kneeling as in the US. One thing we've observed is that the congregation does not dress as casually as in the US. It's rare to see shorts, sneakers, jeans, etc at Mass. Have a great trip!