Montreal for non-French speakers??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am fortunate enough to know two langauages, none of which are French. I know the basics in Fench - hello, goodbye, thank you, etc. Will this be a large problem in Montreal? I do not have much time to prepare a crash course in the language, so I will have to fly by the seat of my pants. I will be driving in from NY and going straight to Montreal for 3 days. I am reading mixed reports online regarding whether or not my lack of French will be a a problem. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM

No problems in Montreal!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:01 AM

It should not be the slightest problem in communicating in hotels, restaurants, shops and other tourist sites. Montreal is a largely bilingual city, and people who deal with the public often have a sense before you open your mouth whether to address you in English or French.

However, one thing I would do before driving into Québec is to learn the basics of highway signs (nord, sud, est, ouest, etc.) as they are in French only. Most of the signs have pictograms, but it's useful to able to read them as well. Here's a useful guide: http://tinyurl.com/syo7m
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:02 AM

This question comes up every few months. I would guess nearly every Montrealler can speak English.You might have a little problem with signs, some menus, etc, but I'm sure it will be fine. However, if you venture into the countryside, English is not commonly spoken.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:36 AM

As others have stated, not knowing French will not be a problem. Some even visit our fair city not being fluent in English OR French!

Not quite what I'd call "nearly everybody" but about 65% of both francophones and anglophones living in Montreal say they are bilingual. Even some people that list themselves as unilingual francophones probably know far more English than you know French. Even if you happen upon a unilingual francophone, I'm sure the two of you will find some way of communicating....

If you like, listen to some basic French tapes before you come up for a more enriching experience. I would say much of Laverendrye's url you don't need to know... From that list, I'd learn A DROITE, A GAUCHE, ARRET is more common for "stop"; STATIONNEMENT for "parking"; SORTIE; ENTREE INTERDITE (the latter word means forbidden so see that and know you shouldn't be doing something!); ATTENTION; CEDEZ (yield); RALENTISSEZ (slow down). I would also know your days of the week in French if you plan on parking on the street and if you want a snack you'll see DEPANNEURs all over the place, which are convenience stores...

Come, don't worry and enjoy! DAN
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Go ahead, enjoy and relax.

Don't be afraid to used the basic French you do known (Bonjour, bonsoir, merci,s'il vous plait, au revoir etc...) you will come out like someone who cares enought to make an effort in recognizing he distinct society that Québec is. French speakers will appreciate your efforts.

Bon voyage.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:52 AM
BAK

Further to Daniel's comments.

To me, the most important French is reading the main road signs. And that's not hard.

Nord is north, Sud is south, Oeust is west and Est is east.

Once you know this, you can get your car to your hotel by getting the right off-ramp from a highway.

Other than that, you'll probably be fine, and have a great time.

BAK

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, I searched this site figuring my question had been asked numerous times, but I couldn't find anything mentioning it.

I do know the road signs, due to my many travels in the Maritime Provinces where the signs are both in English and French. So nord, sud, arret, sortie, etc. are already in my vocabulary.

I only have a limited time in Montreal, but I am very excited to visit from what I have read. It looks like the weather may even be lovely this weekend!

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM

You may even find yourself disappointed slightly by the lack of necessity for french.

Montreal just doesn't demand french in its core.

Even in the outlying areas you can easily get by without any preparation.

Went to a pizza house and the woman didn't speak a word of english and I not a word of french, and it was fun to get what I wanted after just pointing and nodding.

At McDonald's, the worst thing that happened is that I got an un-ordered "hash brown" accompanied by a young french girl calling upon her only-slightly-practiced english when delivering it to my table.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Driving out of a tunnel, don't be surprised by this sign

VOS PHARES ?

no, it's not spanish, lol, it's french; it's a reminder to turn off your headlights. I always get a kick out of that one.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM

As mentioned, you won't have a problem. What amazed me, is that when so many people switch from French to English, they speak English with only the slightest or no French accent.

I thought is was also funny that recently while in France, a French-Canadian movie was shown with French sub-titles on TV.