Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Evening activities in Montreal with english speaking teenager?

Mar 21st, 2003, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

We are headed to montreal next week (mon-fri). What is there to do in the evening besides go out to dinner for mother and 15 yr old daughter who do not speak french - thanks-
Mar 21st, 2003, 04:27 AM

Check out www.canada.com/montreal/aroundtown/ for an English-language listing of things to do and events that are going on.

Mar 21st, 2003, 05:36 AM

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp
Hi cathy,
I always refer to this site before our trips to Montreal. They are very current with what is going on, weather, all you need to know.
Have a great time!
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:37 AM

You don't have to worry about not speaking French in Montreal, nearly everyone is bi-lingual. Most of the live theater however is in French. The one exception is the Centaur in Old Montreal which is an English language playhouse.There should be some performances happening somewhere that aren't language dependant, such as a ballet, concert, etc. Another memorable night would be to go to a Spanish restaurant that features live flamenco dancing - there are a few downtown. Another fun evening might be strolling on St. Denis, checking out the shops, and eating in a restaurant that strikes you. There are lots of options on St. Denis, and most things are open late.
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM

Agreed with Zootsi,

Montreal is Bi-lingual, actually it also has a huge Asian populations as well, so let's just say it's multi-cultural, I speak better Spanish than French, actually I am hopeless at French. I live in Toronto and visited Montreal, it's nice, check out Old Montreal and walk around, go to Chinatown again very close to Old Montreal. I think the highlight of Montreal is really just walking around the various streets, it' so lively and exciting (and I went in Fall)!!