Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information on Quebec City?

I saw a pretty good package for this summer at either:
Chateau Laurier
Chateau Beelevue
or Manoir Lafayette

Recommendations on these?

It also included dinners at two of the following restaurants
: Louis-Hébert, Aux Anciens Canadiens, La Crémaillère, Gambrinus, or Café Sirocco
Comments?
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Of these, I can comment only on Aux Anciens Canadiens. During my only trip to Quebec I ate dinner there and was very pleased with both the food and quality of service. I recommend it.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Hi, The Chateau Laurier is in Ottawa, the Frontenac is in Quebec. It has a superb location in the old town and looks lovely from the outside.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Lucy - yes, well it appears there is one in Quebec City as well though not nearly as grand:

1220, Place George-V Ouest
Québec City
Québec, Canada
G1R 5B8

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Hi, oh sorry, I didn't want you to book Ottawa by mistake.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up, Lucy
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Hi: My wife and I have stayed at the Chateau Bellevue seven times since 1998, most recently 3/29-4/3 of this year. Normally we stay there 4-5 nights and take the "fine dining" package for two of those nights.
The hotel enjoys a great location within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, and attractions. It is spotlessly clean and the staff is friendly and helpful with any questions. They also have their own parking lot behind the hotel and charge CAD $12 per night. Rooms tend to be on the small side but we never feel cramped; furnishings are more than adequate but rather non-decript. This is certainly not a hotel with a lot of romantic ambience, but this is offset by the price and location.

We feel that the dining plan is a bargain in that the complete dinner for two also includes GST, PST, and gratuities. In summer, the plan also includes a full breakfast, tax, and gratuities at "Le Conchon Dingue".

We usually dine at "Louis Hebert" and "Aux Anciens Canadiens" and have always been pleased with our meal and service. At both, you are not restricted as to menu choices because you have the dining plan. We also tried "Gambrinus" in March but did not like it as much as the other two. This may have been due to the fact that it was a Friday in Lent and we restricted ourselves to the rather limited seafood menu.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

George - great information
Thank you
We were considering trying the Via rail from Toronto(if there is no blockade) special - 2 seniors for the price of one, however driving is another possibility
First time for me to Quebec City, we were thinking of 4 nights or so. Any insider tips or "don't miss" advice?
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:01 PM

For restaurants, I would certainly recommend La Crémaillère--classic French cuisine and excellent service. It's not as well known as some of the top restaurants in town such as Le Saint-Amour, but is just as good.

Aux Anciens Canadiens is worth a visit, but you should decide whether or not you want to do it on your own or as part of the package. Their lunch menu (up to 5:45 pm) is a real bargain, but after that it is overpriced, in my opinion. So you might want to have a lunch there instead of dinner. It will be a full lunch, as the strength of the restaurant is the traditional Québecois cuisine. It's located in one of the oldest buildings in town dating from the late 17th century.

As for "don't miss" among the many sites, I would include the Citadel. You can take a guided tour, and in the summer every morning at 10 you can see the changing of the guard by the Royal Vingt-Deuxième Régiment. Even better on Friday evenings is the ceremony of Beating Retreat.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks laverendrye. Your suggestions are very helpful.