Quebec City or Montreal?

May 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Quebec City or Montreal?

We are making a driving vacation to Nova Scotia, and on the way home we have a couple of extra days to stop for 2 nights in either Quebec City or Montreal. Which would you vote for, and why?
(I have actually located a cottage within the walls of the old historic city in Quebec City already. I visited Montreal once about 30 years ago, and have never been to QC)
May 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM

They're both terrific places. I'm voting for Quebec City for the only reason that you've never been before.
May 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM

The eternal question - it pops up on this thread at least every month.
Both cities are wonderful, but quite different.
Quebec City - Extremely scenic and charming. Different than any other city in North America. Small, very French.
Montreal - The second largest French speaking city in the world. A melting pot of cultures - French, Italian, North African, Jewish, Portuguese, etc. A mecca for foodies and shoppers.
Whatever floats your boat. If you've never been, I would say Quebec City, especially for a short visit.
May 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
BAK

Why not stay one night in Quebec City, and see if you feel you're finished?

If not, stay longer.

Otherwise, go to Montreal for a day.

I'm on the Montreal is better side of the fence; Quwbwc City is nice enough and I;ve been there a dozen times, but there are old buildings and a waterfront in Montreal, too, plus a whole lot more.

Which is NOT to say don't bother crossing the river and looking around Quebec City.

It's just that I run out of things to do after six hours in Quebec City, except wait until it is time to eat another fine meal.

BAK
May 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM

We had only four days in Quebec City and would have liked another four.
May 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM

I'm with BAK on this one. Quebec City is a charming place and certainly deserves a visit however Montreal has so much more to do. Either one the dining is fabulous.
May 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about the part of QC within the walls? If so, that would be my choice. I've taken two walking tours there and found them very informative and interesting. It is clogged with tourists, but that doesn't take away from the charm of the city. It's in a very self-contained area and it's perfect for sightseeing, spending the afternoon at a cafe, just wandering. Just be aware it's very hilly.

Montreal has things going for it as well, but I think of Montreal as more of a "normal" city, whereas I view QC as an "experience" if that makes any sense!