Montreal or Quebec City??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to take my husband on a romantic get-away and was initially thinking Quebec City.

I've started reading about Montreal, and it seems like an interesting place also.

Can someone give me a comparison? We would be interested in the old section of Montreal.

Is it possible to do both? We would not want to drive - we would fly in from Boston - so is there bus or train between the two and how long is the ride?
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Ahh - the age old question. Do a search back on this forum for many comments on this very same topic.
In a nutshell - Quebec City is totally unique, and very much like an old French walled city.A very picturesque, charming, safe city. Drawbacks - the old city is fairly small, and can be seen in a few days. Dining options are good, but mostly French food.
Montreal is a very large cosmopolitan city, with a rich ethnic mix. There is a small old city (nothing close to Quebec City however), a very vibrant downtown, and lots of interesting French, Jewish, Italian, Middle Eastern, etc neighborhoods. The restaurant and shopping choices are overwhelming.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Zootsi, what a great synopsis! The only thing I'd add is that I think Quebec City is the more romantic of the two cities.

Wanderer, you can take the train from Montreal to Quebec. There are several departures each day and it takes about three hours, downtown to downtown. The station in Quebec is about six blocks from the Dominion, perhaps eight or nine from the other hotel you were wondering about, the Saint-Antoine.

You can look at the VIA Rail schedule at www.viarail.ca

Anselm
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you zootsi. Now I know we want to go to Quebec.

I had to tell my husband due to his work schedule, and he said he'd rather go when we can sit outside at the cafes.

Would May be warm enough to do this, or should we look at June or even early Fall? We would prefer not to go during rainy season if there is one.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Wanderer,
Many, many years ago we were in Quebec City in May for our honeymoon & it was freezing! I don't know if that is the norm but we had to wear our winter coats. About 5 years ago we went back to Quebec City in July, and it was beautiful. All the sidewalk cafes were open. It was a much nicer experience going in July than in May. I hope other people respond to your question because it is possible that the year we went in May was colder than usual.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:26 AM

May 'may' be warm enough to sit outside. Many cafes will put out tables as soon as temps go above around 50f. We have actually sat outside in Montreal in late March - in the sun and out of the wind it's not too bad. Naturally the closer to summer you go the better your chances. If dining outside is a high priority (and this is big part of the fun of both cities), then late May at the earliest.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Hi.. i'm from Qc city..

I would suggest that you visit our area in August or September.. it's the best time of the year because in june and early july, the last 2 years were really rainy months.
All cafes will be open in may until october (if weather permitting)

and between MTL and Qc city.. don't hesitate.. I lived 2 year in MTL.. and Qc city is much more romantic, quiet and beautiful.. but it's true.. it's colder than MTL, specially in May
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Very helpful. We will look to visit then in August/Sept., as being outside is a big part of the experience for us.

I have another post, but have not had alot of responses - does anyone know of either the Dominion or Saint Antoine? These are the 2 places that we like the best.

We are looking for good location - walking distance to sites, restaurants, shops, and smallish "boutique" type hotels.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 09:24 AM

For a romantic getaway I wopuld pick Quebec City hands down. We have stayed ay the Chateau Bellevue, a modest but comfortable hotel, well located. Had dinners at the Cafe de la Paix, a couple of blocks away.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:29 PM

Yeah I'd say Quebec City for romance. Montreal is awesome though. This is coming from a single guy who's more interested in fun than romance. But if you have time do both. Try a couple of days in Quebec city during the week and then on the weekend party in Montreal if you're a partying couple. Because MOntreal is definately a party town. But there are other things to do so many museums and old Montreal although nothing compared to old Quebec City is nice. Montreal is the place for shopping and nightlife. Quebec city is quaint and picturesque and slow paced. It's really about what you want. I lean toward the big city hustle and bustle. But both cities are fun and I say have your cake and eat it too.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:09 PM

I live in Montreal (went to high school in DC area) and have visited Quebec City about 7 times. Don't count me in with the "hands down Quebec City" group.

What does romance mean? I think romance is often in the eye of the beholder. Usually I've noticed that it implies an experience between couples that's out of the ordinary with beauty surrounding. I think some people tend to think Quebec City for romance because its Old Town is larger than that of Montreal's and because it's about 95% French-speaking relative to Montreal's about 65-70%, which gives it a more "exotic" feel for many English-speaking North Americans.

All this said, I think BOTH are good choices for "romance" because both have many beautiful settings for a walk, a plethora of restaurants that can offer fine culinary experience and entertainment that can bring a smile even to the most jaded.

Montreal I think some people may think as less romantic because it has some big city hustle-and-bustle, some ugly industrial sections (mind you, Quebec City has some ugly or blah sections too) and can be rawer in places. Yet I can't think of anything more romantic than some restaurants in Montreal's Plateau district, a walk through some of the city's parks or gorgeous riverfront settings.

Amuse-toi bien whatever you decide! Cheers, DAN