HOT SPRINGS worth a stop?

Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

HOT SPRINGS worth a stop?

We will be in Canadian Rockies mid August and will stay in Jasper, Lake Louise, and Banff. Wondering if Radium, Banff, or Miette hot springs are worth a visit?
Which one has the nicest scenery and/or facilities? Thanks!
Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:06 AM

ttt
Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM

We stayed at Radium Hot Springs about four years ago and really enjoyed it. It has a hot pool for floating around and a "cold" pool for more energetic swimming. The scenery was beautiful. We rented a basic but comfortable cabin just a hundred yards from the pool.

I haven't been to Banff for many years but recall it as more of a "destination" experience - far more up-scale than Radium. Radium is the sort of place where you stop for a night or two just to relax after you've been on the road all week. Very low-key. No formal dress required.

I've never visited Miette.

I guess your choice will depend on how much luxury and atmosphere you're after.
Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:08 AM

Recently returned from the Rockies and did both the Bannf and Miette hot springs. We preferred the Miette given the view - sit in the pool and look up at the mountains (better view than Banff). however, that said - 2 "issues": 1) pool is older and showing a bit of discolouration on the inside liner, 2) a hours drive from Jasper. We stayed at the Miette Hot Springs Bungalows which made the drive a lot easier. The bungalows are fine for 1 night, strong smell of smoke in ours (old 50's style family run motel - good value). Bannf had the nicer pool, but is smaller than Miette, which has 3 pools, 2 hot, 1 VERY cold plunge pool. The gounds surrounding Miette were also very nice and we saw lots of deer and big horned sheep right ouside.
Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM

Radium is pretty spectacular. The pool has a rock wall right beside the hot pool and the walk from the parking lot leads you along a rushing mountain stream. It really feels like you are right in the mountains.
Aug 4th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I think we will try Radium...
Aug 18th, 2004, 08:04 PM
sockboy

If you are actually going all the way to Radium (1.5hrs beyond Banff) anyway, I would say take a dip there. But I wouldn't drive all the way there just for the pool. It isn't that much nicer than in Banff or Jasper! Again, Banff Hot Springs are right in town, and it is a bit of a drive to Miette from Jasper.