Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have you spent any time in Kootenay/Ainsworth Hot Springs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a few days left on final planning of my trip to Canmore, Banff,Lake Louise. I have just discovered Kootenay National Park and specifically the Ainsworth Hot Springs in the Nelson area.The hot springs look amazing with the caves and the Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort looks so nice.

We are considering going 2.5 hours out of our way to go and would love to know if you have been here - what the area is like. Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM

I personally like the area but if I recall your itinerary, it's more than 2.5 hours out of your way. I'm not sure that it's that much nicer than Radium or the Banff Hot Springs.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM

I don't know what your itinerary is, but I've been to both the Ainsworth and Radium hot springs. I enjoyed both.

At Ainsworth, there are two "hot" pools, one that is open and is larger and then the smaller one with the cave. IIRC from when I was there, the larger pool temp was about 36C and the hotter/cave pool was about 40C. They also have a small cold pool (~4C). The idea is to alternate between the hot and cold pools. It's quite a shocking experience, but you do a few times and you feel totally refreshed and rejuvenated.

As to whether or not it's worth the detour... that's for you to decide.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

ShelliDawn, Is the surrounding area of Radium and Ainsworth particularly special like the mountains, rivers, the town? Where did you stay in Radium?
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM

I honestly can't recall the name of the place we stayed at in Radium. It was about a 10 minute drive outside of town and had a golf course attached. We stayed two nights after doing five days of backpacking in Kootenay Park and treated ourselves to a day in the hot springs and the spa afterwards.

Ainsworth was a similar trip. We had spent a couple of days backpacking in Kokanee Glacier Park and then stayed at the Ainsworth resort as a treat. One perk to staying at the resort (at least a few years ago) is that the pools are only open to guests for a few hours in the morning, so you can enjoy some time in the pool in less crowded, more relaxing manner before the general public is allowed in.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM

I am from Cranbook, an hour from Radium. Check out Invermere, its very close to Radium and its got lots of resorts and very beautiful.