Help With Trip To Vancouver

Jun 26th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Help With Trip To Vancouver

I am trying to put together a trip for our family (kids 12 and 15) to Vancouver for about 8 days. Thinking about Vancouver for 4 days and Whistler for 3 days (so we can get in some rafting, canoeing, hiking and fishing). Should I try to do a day trip to Victoria? Is it something the kids would like? Is it tough to visit in one day? How do you get there? Also, would I be able to drive back to Vancouver airport from Whistler in time if the plane leaves at noon, or am I better leaving Whistler the day before and staying last night again in Vancouver?
thanks
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:54 AM

My advice would be to skip Victoria, as much as I love the place I don't think your kids would get much out of it. Also it would make for a very long day. The ferry crossing is 1.5 hours each way, add in the travel time to the terminal, plus waiting for the ferry - I just wouldn't bother unless you stayed overnight. I would definitely come back to Vancouver the day before your flight. The drive from Whistler is at LEAST two hours, and if you are flying to the States you must be at the airport two hours prior your flight (one hour for flights within Canada).
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Cruiseryyc is right. While the drive from Whistler to the Airport should, in theory, take nmo more than 2-3 hours the highway is notorious for lengthy closures either for construction or for serious accidents. Closures have been known to go on for hours and you don't want to take that risk. There's a whole slew of airport hotels that have had some very bad years since 9/11 and I think you can probably get a very good deal for the night before your flight. Definately a fraction of what you'ld pay for a night in Whistler.
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks. I am thinking about staying overnight in Victoria, but you may be right..it might not even be something that interests the kids. Also, does anyone know if there is a schedule of the road closings from Vancouver to Whistler?
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM

The road to Whistler closes whenever there is a rock slide, car accident, heavy snow/rain. In other words there is no "scheduled" closiing.
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:53 AM

Actually there are scheduled closures throughout the summer for blasting and other road improvements. I don't know the web site or phone # for finding out when they are but I'm sure there is one.