Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Spots for Lunch in Vancouver Chinatown?

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were just in Vancouver in late May this year, but picked the wrong restaurant in Chinatown for lunch -- Hon's Wun Tun (on Pender, I think). We'll be back with another couple in September and would like to find a good one this time. (Last fall, this same couple went with us to San Francisco and loved House of Nanking.)

Might I solicit some favorites and recommendations from my fellow Fodorites? With stomach rumbling, I await your words of wisdom...
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Well, if you want a local's secret, Chinatown isn't really thought of as a great dining destination anymore in Vancouver. There really aren't that many restaurants there, and even fewer that are good.

There are actually hundreds of Chinese restaurants outside of Chinatown, and the best ones are found in Richmond. Go to Chinatown if you're looking for historic architecture and the old traditional Chinese culture, but if you're really seeking quality Chinese dining, head to Richmond (a suburb south of Vancouver):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_...itish_Columbia)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...14/ai_n9505708

http://dinehere.ca/results.asp?l=20&...s=ASC&a=SEARCH

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Ooops - you may have to copy and paste that first link there. I'll try to post it again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_...sh_Columbia%29

Those links provide you with some idea as to what Richmond offers, and how it's different from Vancouver's Chinatown.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM

And this link (from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer), focuses specifically on Richmond's culinary scene:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/1...ichmond12.html
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Does it have to be Chinese food? I really liked the Phnom Penh for Cambodian although it's been a while since I've been there.

Agree with the other comments that the best Chinese is in Richmond rather than Chinatown.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Actually, no, it doesn't have to be "Chinese." We will make a stop in Chinatown if for no other reason than to oogle the dried sea snakes, smelly tiny dried shrimp, and soak up the different culture. I had thought to just graze from their bakeries (that was the best food I had when I was there). Also, a little dim sum would be nice.

We'll be in Vancouver a couple of days only, staying at the Pacific Palisades. Aside from curry (DH doesn't care for it), we're game for just about anything that we can either walk to or get to in the general downtown area. Given the fact that we're living in Florida (not great for Asian food), it would be nice to get something Asian.

Thank you both for the help. Maybe you have some more ideas?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:55 AM

You've gotten some good info from Carmanah - I didn't dare post it first as I didn't want to come across as such a food snob. However, I can't remember the last time I had a meal in Chinatown - but like you, I'm a sucker for their bakeries!

If you're downtown, try the Victoria Chinese (on Georgia, underneath the Hyatt I believe); Kirin on Alberni; or the Imperial in the historic Marine Building at the foot of Burrard, with its elegant decor & fab views of Coal Harbour/Stanley Park.

You may want to checkout some more current reviews on these places to ensure they're still top notch.

Enjoy-la!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-la!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Sometimes I miss San Francisco Chinatown-- I grew up in the Bay Area and used to work close enough to Chinatown that we would walk to a few good dim sum places for lunch. since one of my coworkers was a recent transplant from Hong Kong, she always introduced us to new stuff. {sigh}
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM

sludick, brings back memories of when I was wandering thru SF's Chinatown a few years ago, the aromas and bustle of one small shop caught my attention - fresh steamed pork, chicken, and other types of buns were being sold at a rapid pace.

For 50 cents a bun, how could I go wrong? I picked up a half dozen to share with my folks. In the days following during my visit, I sidetracked to go back there and picked up some more!

If you like Chinese supermarkets, there's a large one called T&T that borders Chinatown and the International Village (around Keefer & Abbott). It has a deli section (some other T&T locations have massive "take out" dim sum deli-style counters where you can point to what you want, as opposed to choosing off a menu - not sure if this location is one of them but would have the deli at least).

Also you might have seen Floata the last time you were in Ctown - it's around the Dr. Sun-Yet Sun Garden on Keefer. It's one of Canada's largest Chinese restaurants, with an 1,000+ seating capacity. Pics on the walls show dignitaries like former Prime Ministers eating there.

Tour buses, etc. go here for the plentiful seating, okay food, novelty, and since they really crank out the food, it comes pretty quickly.

It has a sister restaurant (same name in Richmond). The Ctown dim sum is made for "mass market" so definitely not stellar like our newest favourite haunt, Jade (in Richmond, which is probably too far out of the way).

Enjoy-la!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Pork buns, yum!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:52 AM

Just a note - I don't want to come across as a Chinatown basher or a food snob either. But if you can make it out to Richmond eventually, you'll also find all kinds of bakeries and such there too.

But now I'm craving a BBQ pork bun. Thanks!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM

Sludick - I finally fired up my laptop in Lincoln City - in a delightful vrbo beach house so had to catch up on all of your posts. I absolutely love the Imperial that Klamchowder mentioned in downtown Vancouver. I worked close by there and often went for dim sum. Of course the building that it is in is one of Vancouver's old landmarks. I hate to say that I lived in North Vancouver when it was THE "skyscraper" on the Vancouver skyline. Anyway the food is excellent and the building is so beautiful. You should try it at least once. They do have a website http://www.imperialrest.com/ Look under the section where you can order on line to see the menu items.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I hope the heat didn't follow you down the coast! There have been enough recommendations to keep me fed for awhile, certainly, and I'll make sure to fit in the Imperial. With relatives in Washington who are not getting any younger, we try to make it out that way from Florida 1-2 times a year. (They live in Everett, Marysville, etc., not too far away from the border.) This trip is more of a quick (2-week) "sampler package" of British Columbia and Banff for our friends, so I am planning carefully. Enjoy your beach house getaway!