Search

which B &B

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which B &B

I am taking my 70 year old mother to Toronto for a surprise birthday present. I have looked at the Mulberry Tree Inn and Cawthra Square Inn. Has anyone stayed at either of these places and which would you recommend.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:15 AM
LJ

If these were my only two choices I would go with The Mulberry Tree Inn. But if you still have alternatives try the University Women's Club over either of the above...it is in a much better neighbourhood.I am assuming you are using the BBCanada website?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:20 AM
LJ

Here is the website for the University Women's Club, right on the campus of U of T and very well situated for subway, museums, good restaurants, peaceful surroundings. Not so much with your other choices!
http://www.bbcanada.com/universitywomensclub
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM

I too was impressed by the website of the Mulberry Tree ... I HATED IT! The woman who runs it made me so uncomfortable. I can't explain it. She was kind of snobby and at breakfast she would hover around and make sure no one moved a pitcher of juice etc. out of place.
I always stay at B&Bs and I have always done plenty of research to chose just the right one. This time I messed up. I really hated it. If I ever get to go back, I want to stay at my second choice ... AGGH! The name just escaped me. Pembertons? He is an English guy - He dresses up like the Queen of England for a local show ... used to run a pub - Maybe someone knows what I am talking about.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM

FOUND IT!!

http://www.pimblett.ca/

I had made a reservation with him and he said he would cook an English dinner for me ... he seemed so nice. Then I canceled to go to Mulberry and I will never forgive myself.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the help, I was only thinking of Mulberry and Cawthra as they had some positive feed back on another site. we are flexible and as first time visitors to Toronto I dont want to have picked a horrible B & B
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

I am still undecided about B&B have looked at a few others on the BBCanada site, a few that seem ok are 213 Carlton, Alan Gardens BB, Lowtherhouse . has anyone stayed in these three and what did you think. which is most central, bearing in mind my mum is 70 years old.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
LJ

The neighbourhoods you are selecting and some of the B&B's are very dubious. I truly suggest (again) that you check out BBCanada, a reputable site that grants accreditation to its members...I have already named the University Women's Club (which is BBC endorsed). I know these neighbourhoods and do not wish you and your Mom to have an unpleasant stay in our beautiful city.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM

Wallace, the Albert Pimblett's Downtown bed and breakfast is near Allan Gardens which I have heard is not a very nice area, what was your experience?
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM

Anirac, I believe from their site the Cawthra Square Inn is primarily a gay oriented facility. I would not mind that, (I'm gay) but it could influence your choice. I have stayed at "mixed" guesthouses and the straight clients seemed very pleased with the service and comforts.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM

I don't know these B&B's but Lowther House on Lowther Avenue is in the heart of the Annex, a very nice neighbourhood, close to shopping, the Royal Ontario Museum and the University of Toronto. It's only a couple of blocks from the University Women's Club which LJ recommends. I would not hesitate to stay in that area. (I don't have a 70 year old mother, but am not far from that age myself).
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
LJ

Actually, it was the Allan Gardens one I was uneasy about, but, please believe me, NOT because of issues with sexual orientation of owners/guests/neighbourhood!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM

InMiami,

I never stayed at Pimblet's, it was my 2nd choice ... I stayed at the Mulberry Tree which is also "in a bad neighborhood" - It didn't bother me. It was right around the corner from a subway and a short walk to nicer areas. There were panhandlers aplenty, but then again, they were all over (even in the nicer areas) - Again, it didn't bother me. Even the "bad areas" aren't really that bad.
I STILL don't recommend the Mulberry Tree though - not because of the area, but because of the lady who runs it!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

i researched the bbcanada site, that is where i found the B&Bs i enquired about. the university is closed the weekend we arrive as its thanksgiving in Canada/Toronto. They would be happy to open up and let us in, i guess it would be a bit like staying in a morgue as no one around. 213 Carlton was the other B&B from bbcanada site that looked ok, anyone comment on that one.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM

BBCanada is a good site for finding B&Bs - however, it is a paid advertising site for those who list their homes there - BBCanada does not make give any kind of accreditation, as was stated earlier. They do not require their advertisers to prove they are licensed to operate in their area, nor do they get involved when there are complaints. Usually the printed provincial tourism board directories or their online equivalents do this. However, BBCanada is a good directory, and covers all of Canada. If you are concerned about quality or standards, look for a B&B association in the area, or judge for yourself from photos of the B&B, then give the host a call and ask questions. I always say, trust your gut... if your questions are answered politely & completely, with no sense that you are being a bother, then you have a winner. Do be sensible about when you phone though - the owners are probably busy with breakfast service in the morning at breakfast time, and because it is usually a home, without 24 hour staff, you shouldn't phone late at night either.