Search

vancouver rests ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
css
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vancouver rests ?

Visiting in July; love the idea and menu of Bin 941/942 but don't want to spend a hour waiting. Is there something similiar that does take reservations? Also the Guu restaurants look cool; do they take reservations,are they all the same?If I should I just pick the one closest to my hotel (Fairmount downtown (not waterfront)which would that be? Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM

I've been reading replies here on this forum about restaurants in Vancouver and although all the suggestions have been good I can't help but feel that a visitor to Vancouver or Victoria would be missing out if they didn't try some of the Chinese restaurants. Vancouver has some of the best Chinese and Asian food anywhere in the world. Certainly better than any I've had in the US and that includes San Francisco. Our large and well established Asian communities have combined the creativity of Asia with the abundance and quality of Canada's producers and the result is fresh and delicious cuisine for prices that can't be beat. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make specific recommendations because Chinese restaurants don't seem to place much emphasis on consistency--the same dish will taste different on different days. But for lovers of Asian food (Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc.) a trip to Vancouver (or Victoria) is an occasion to experiment and indulge. And a special note to Americans. When 2 or more are dining, each person does not order a dish for himself as they would in Occidental restaurants. Instead, a number of dishes are ordered for the table and everyone partakes of all the dishes. I've heard this called "family style" in the US. And, no, I'm not Asian.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM

Hi css. I would try Sanifir on Granville St. Food is fantastic, very interesting and as good if not better than the bins.Also Chambar or Rare. For lunch or casual dinner Fennies gives you a taste of the great chef Rob with out the high price of Lumiere. If your coming in July reserve early if you want a week end. There is an on-line reservation service for many Vancouver restaurants. go to opentable.com Enjoy
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM
css
Original Poster

Thanks-do you think Sanafir would work if we're only 2 people? Or is it better with a crowd? Also do you think PArkside and Aura are too similiar? I'm trying to get 4 differnt eating expierences.( I have C for one night)
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Here's a place I've always loved - amazing martinis and a feel like it's a throw back to the 1940's... http://www.delilahs.ca/html/reservations.html
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM

To answer the original question, Guu is pretty mch the same everywhere, the closest to you is 838 Thurlow St, Vancouver Tel: (604) 685-8817 which is downtown and accepts reservations. There are two other locations in Gastown and Robson Street.

Ebisu on Robson on 827 Bute Street is cool too, featuring some of the best deals for drinks in town. Delicious tapas & inventive, original sushi created by chefs straight from Japan. The trendy modern design,perfect ambiance for either a small romantic dinner or large parties. Prices CAD10-20.

Check out http://www.travel--guide.org/Vancouver for more info
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM

One of my personal favourites in Vancouver is CRU at 1459 West Broadway, just east of Granville. Tel: 604-677-4111, www.cru.ca. Great food, service and wine list.