Going to Vancouver/Victoria

May 6th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Diane

Going to Vancouver/Victoria

I'm taking a short cruise to Victoria/Vancouver in a week. Is it true that medicines can be purchased over the counter in Canada that take a prescription here in the States? Also what is the procedure for customs when leaving Vancouver by train? 'Don't want to get in any trouble on the way home! Also, what are some spots to see in Vancouver? Do we need to rent a car, or can we take public trans?

May 6th, 2002, 07:51 AM
elizabeth

Hi Diane - there are some drugs available here OTC that are still RX in the US - most notably antihistamines like Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec. There's a significant price difference.

Also, we have an ASA/Codeine called "222" - it didn't used to be available in the States OTC.

Can't help with your Customs question.

May 6th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Diane

Thanks, Elizabeth. Allegra is almost prohibitive here, even with a 'scrip...

Thanks for the info on Tylenol also, think I'll try to get some to keep on hand....

May 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
traveller

For ASA or Tylenol with codeine, you must ask the pharmacist. Government requires that you sign off when buying (at least in Alberta) and the pharmacy generally monitors how much is bought as it is an addictive drug. Tylenol are called Tylenol 1's. ASA are 222's. I don't generally buy it but I believe you can buy them in bottles of 30, 50 or 100. Claretin and Allegra are relatively inexpensive. They are sold right on the shelf.

May 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Diane

Thanks for the info. Allegra is REALLY expensive here even with insurance, so It might pay to stock up even a little. Any ideas on what I have to do when I go through customs? Do I have to have a prescription or what?

May 6th, 2002, 10:23 AM
traveller

I don't think you will have trouble crossing the border. I have never been asked either way about these items, just smokes and booze. They are perfectly legal here.

I did some price shopping for you (all quoted in Cdn $'s of course)

At Shoppers Drug Mart:
Allegra 12's (24 hr) - $13.99
Claretin - 10's - $9.99
- 20's $16.99

At Safeway pharmacies:
Allegra 24 hr - 12's $14.49
Claretin 12's - $14.49
Claretin 24's - $24.99 but they have an ongoing summer special for the 24's where you buy one of the 24's and get one free so it is a great deal.

May 6th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Diane

Traveller, you are a sweetie! Thanks a bunch! Allegra costs me $40 down here with insurance for a 30-day supply so it's a big savings! Don't drink or smoke (jeeze, I sound pure don't I? NOT!!) so no prob with customs there!

Thanks again!

Diane