Search

Dog sledding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog sledding

Does anyone have experience. There seem to be a varity of prices. Would a full day be more of an experience or is a half day enough for an adventurous sort?
I would like a place within a 2 hour drive of Montreal or Quebec city, not near a downhill ski area as my perception is that those areas will be more crowded at Christmas. Help!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM

There are some dog sledding places in the Eastern Townships area of Quebec, about 1 1/2 hours south east of Montreal.
http://www.randonneesjrobidas.qc.ca/...a/products.htm

This place was good, though I opted for just the introductory 1 hour ride. Some people there who had done the half day seemed overwhelmed, but seems like it would be fine for a self described "adventurous sort"
Very scenic area
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:25 PM

We had one of the best times of our lives on a dog sled trip in the Charlevois area of Quebec. This is from my trip report (it was Christmas 1999). My "kids" (now both in their 20s) still think it was the best Christmas present we've ever enjoyed together! A half day was PLENTY, BTW!
Here you go:

The dog sled trip was clearly the coolest thing we did on the whole trip. (Husky Adventures - www.quebecweb.com/dogsled, $75 Canadian per person ) About 10 minutes from our B&B, we pulled in to the home of Johnny and Suzanne Dufour at about 8:30 AM. In their kitchen, they supplimented our clothing with big wool socks, HEAVY bib pants (over the 3 layers of clothing we were already wearing). Big waterproof boots, long leather gloves with an extra woolen sock over my cast hand/arm. Then Johnny took us up to the kennel via a snowmobile towing a sled. As they harnessed up the huskies (six to a sled) Johnny explained the key things to know about driving a sled. (There were three sleds, for the 4 of us plus Johnny and Mario, our guides.)

"You must keep the rope straight" and "Zee most important ting --- you know shit?...if zee dog starts to squat (demonstrated dog squatting) you MUST trow up your arm, step on zee break, and yell STOP. Zee sled does not stop witout zee break. Don't worry 'bout zee otter (demonstrates lifting leg) -- but you must watch for zee shit!" So, the line we will all remember from this trip: "Ze MOST important ting....you know....?"

The sled trip itself was great fun. We followed trails through wilderness, mountains, fir trees and lots of snow. Everyone (but me) got pretty good at driving (I only could ride). It lasted about 4 hours. Turned out we were their first customers this year. At the end you make a big celebration of thanking all the dogs, who just love the attention. We went back to their house to and had homemade fudge. What a charming end to our family Christmas celebration.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM

Sorry that should be Charlevoix -- and the website obviously has changed. I would do a search for a Charlevoix tourism site. It was an easy drive and not crowded at all at Christmas time. You would want to stay near by as the best time to start out is early morning. Besides, it was charming to stay in a gite!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:41 PM
ltt

i'd think 3-4 hours would be plenty. if you got chilled, it would be a long day trip.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.
I could find no dogsledding in the eastern towns. The web site given does not list any dogsled trips.
I tried Charlevoix with the quebecweb.com site and found several but not the one run by Johnne & suzanne Dufour. (also used same site for Eastern townships but none were listed)
I'm still open to suggestions. Charlevoix is 400km from Montreal and it sounds very cold. There are some dog sled trips just north of Quebec city but The lodging is more expensive. Has anyone else had experience? I have only found cross country ski lessons in one place and there only on weekends. Not great since those are holidays. How does everyone learn?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:14 PM

If you are staying in Quebec City, this place is about 15 minutes acoss the river.
http://www.aventureinukshuk.com/
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Haven't been dogsledding in Canada, but I was able to do it in Montana years ago. It was a half-day tour with lunch included. We had a blast! If you ever thought you might like to try it and now have the opportunity, go for it! You won't regret it!

And if you're able to do the mushing yourself (instead of riding in the basket), be prepared for a bit of a workout. I quickly became overheated because I had too many layers on.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I don't know why the Jacques Robidas site doesn't show dog sledding (maybe on the original French part of the site?) but I'm sure they offer it as I've been there!
Call them if you're intererted