Reload this Page >

Ice-Skating in Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:57 AM
gigi

Can anyone tell me about ice-skating and ice-skate rental in Quebec City? I see in my guidebook there should be a couple of options in December- Patinoire de la Terrasse, or Place d'Youville. I haven't ice-skated in years but it seems like a fun, Christmassy thing to do in Quebec City. Any suggestions or experiences to share? Not only about skating, but about Quebec City in December in general...(I know: brrrrr!

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 04:27 AM
des

Hi gigi<BR>The ice rink at Place Youville is very pretty, small, and well located just inside the gates of the old city. You can rent skates at the indoor changing area next to the rink. The Christmas lights should be out and a stroll through the old city at night is beautiful at that time of year. A walk and Christmas shopping trip down to the Petit CHamplain taking the steps that descend from beside the Chateau Frontenac is beautiful - all the small stores have CHristmas trees and lights out. While down at Petit CHamplain warm up with a drink at The Papes St. Georges - it's worth finding: a small, cozy, stone and brick walled bar/bistro. Back at the Chateau the toboggan runs may be open. Depending on when you come in December, there are many christmas choirs singing in the churches around the old city - check a free quebecscope magazine and Voir newspaper. Also: don't miss the Christmas Store in the Old City, J.A. Moisan - on upper St. Jean street for gifts and treats, Cartier and MacGuire streets for nice shopping, cafes, restos, bars that the locals go to and tourists often miss out on (cafe krieghoff on cartier has great cheesecake and coffee. If it's snowy, Village des vacances valcartier has the best sliding in Canada if you want to have some fun - it's about 25mins out of town. There is a bar and restaurant - lots of families during the day and adults after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Mont Sainte Anne (big), Le Relais(small), and Stoneham(medium) are all great ski hills. Quebec is fun in the Winter! There will still be lots of people out and about and many things to do. Have fun!

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:16 AM
gigi

Thank you so much for reply, Des; it is very helpful! We're going for 4 nights the week before Christmas, and I'm really looking forward to going. We'd originally planned a 2 week Christmas trip to Europe, but we've had to postpone that for various reasons. I was disappointed, but then someone suggested Quebec City for a short trip... My spirits are lifted! I can't wait to go!

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:01 AM
des

No problem gigi!<BR>The week before Christmas is a wonderful time to be coming here. Have a great time - don't be shy to try out a little French - the effort is definetly worth it. Check out www.quebecregion.com www.fetenoel.com<BR>or www.bonjourquebec.com for more info.