Need Help with Romantic Surprise B'day Trip to Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of surprising my hubby with a short trip to Quebec City for his B'Day this December.

Looking at Leaving Boston Friday (3 hr. flight) and returning Monday - so 2 full days and 2 travel days. Is this enough time to see the city and poke around the shops, etc.?

Also wondering if December is not the best time to go - (first week in Dec.). Will it be too cold to enjoy walking around?

Looking at staying at Auberge Sainte Antoine - has anyone stayed here?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:09 AM
gdm

Hi wanderer
My wife and I believe that Quebec is the most romantic winter city in North America, and december can be a lovely time of year in Quebec - if you are prepared! It could be very cold and snowy, though in the past few years we haven't had too much snow before Christmas. In either case, the christmas lights will be on, and there are many cafes and restaurants where you will be able to stop and warm up. Depending when you arrive, the christmas market should be up and running at the old port market (down from the train station)and you can rent skates for a turn around the rink at place youville in the old city. Two days will be plenty - bring your tuques, scarves and mittens, and have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks gdm. What is Christmas Market? Sounds lovely!

Do you know anything about Auberge St. Antoine?

How would we get from airport to city? Really don't want to have to rent a car.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 06:05 PM
gdm

Hi Wanderer
The Auberge St Antoine is an upscale "boutique" type hotel. It is well regarded. It is in the Petit Champlain, beneath the Upper Town (and the chateau frontenac) This is a more charming and quiet part of the old town. You are close to many small restaurants - try the Lapin Saute for breakfast, it is very beautiful - right next to the public square where the christmas shows are. And try the Pape st Georges for a local beer in a rustic, non touristy, cozy setting, again close to your hotel. You are also very close to the small Christmas market. There are a few local artisans who make food/craft items for sale during the season (beautiful, original ceramic work)Your concierge will know where it is (on the way to the gigantic victorian train station)
If you get tired of the old city, venture past place Youville, La Capitole theatre, and the little skating rink up St Jean street and out of the old city to visit an area many locals shop/dine in. Watch for JA Moisan on your left as you walk up for fun food/craft shopping. Cartier street is off the Plains of Abraham - locals shopping, and enjoying bars/cafes: try the Krieghoff for coffee and cheesecake. You are also an easy cab trip to St Joseph street in the Centre Ville for dinner at the Clocher Pencher - a very nice little Bistro outside of the tourist area - highly recommended. Again, ask your concierge for info on all of these places. I would be surprised if the Auberge couldn't arrange transport for you to and from he airport. If not it is about a $30cdn cab ride.
Have a great time - write back with a trip report on how it went!
gdm
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:03 AM

We were in Quebec city this past June, and we stayed at the Auberge St. Antoine. It was just super! We went down the St. Lawrence to see the gardens at Les Quatres Vents, and then went back to the Auberge, as we liked it so much. I'd like to recommend our favorite restaurant right near the Auberge: It is L'ECHAUDEE, just down the street. We went twice! My husband almost fainted when he tasted the "veloute de poulet" (in english it's just cream of chekcen soup, but WOW) Nice people, friendly chic bistro. Try it. Oh, and the Art Museum is terrific, with a good museum cafe.