Quebec City neighborhoods - choice?

Sep 6th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Quebec City neighborhoods - choice?

I am looking at airbnbs in two neighborhoods, Saint Jean Baptiste and Limoilou. Any opinion? Both seem convenient but then I know little about the neighborhoods of Quebec City. I will be travelling with my 17yo GD so would like to find an area with lots of character and atmosphere, not just another downtown city street. Also we will be there Christmas week so expecting COLD weather so would like to be convenient walking distance from areas of interest i.e. within the walls, lower town, etc.
Sep 6th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

No opinions??
Sep 7th, 2018, 07:52 AM

I maybe can help a little bit. The second area you mention is somewhat vague, since it could mean several things. The Cite-Limoilou is fairly large, formed through amalgamation of several old boroughs. But it is mostly on the main hill, maybe inside the walls (maybe not) with a not-bad walk to the river ramparts (be certain to visit the Citadel and regimental headquarters of the Royal 22nd.). St-Jean Baptiste is also on the height but a half-dozen blocks west of the walls. That area might be marginally busier in terms of main-street shops and restaurants. Either area, parking can be horrific.,Lower-level Quebec surrounds all three sides of the ramparts, so hills always enter into walking routes. I am certain of one thing, however: Accommodation searches sometimes find listings in the Sainte-Foye neighbourhood. That western region has good access to main highways but is too far away from the centre to be convenient (or, in cold weather, even walkable.)

Last edited by Southam; Sep 7th, 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Sep 7th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Southam for your input. It is very timely because I am about ready to book an apt in St - Jean Baptiste. There are two there that I like and both have the bedrooms on different floors of the apt, but the one I am about to book also has 2 baths and I thing that traveling with a 17 year old young lady having the 2 bathrooms seems mighty attractive. The downside is that it does not have a living room, but there is a table and chairs in the kitchen. We plan to be out most of the day and hope it is near whatever Winter/Christmas festivities that mat be taking place that week. I will not have a car, so parking is not an issue - just looking for a lively area with plenty of old world Quebec character to introduce her to the joys of travel.
Sep 10th, 2018, 05:34 PM

I attempted to map those spots against what I know of the QC map, and of them I would lean toward Saint Jean Baptiste.

But I think you should get the exact addresses of the spots you are considering, and then, for anonymity or the like, find businesses extremely nearby to plot on maps for the sake of better addressing your options when asking for opinions here.

Most significant to me is the fact that a prominent part of QC is up on a hill (near the walled city, and the Chateau Frontenac).

And another area of the city is down on flat land, with narrow, cobblestone streets, in an area that just... seems... traditional and authentic, with lots of shops and restaurants. I recall it dipped down to 7 degree (F) when I was in QC, and that I still managed to really like the place.

Of course you'll want to plot on a map the locations of activities you expect to participate in while there, and get something convenient to your intentions.

But were it me, right now, going to QC for a few days, I would stay in the old area with the narrow cobblestone streets and the many shops. To one end of the neighborhood was an underground/undercover mall with a train/subway/bus station adjacent to it.

Search this Thread