Quebec City,old town or downtown

Feb 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Quebec City,old town or downtown

Have been considering a trip to Montreal/Quebec City for August.Hopefully our whole family of 5 are able to go. If so, there would be myself,DH,DD-24,DS-18 and youngest son 15. I was thinking of a week in QC and 3 or four days in Montreal. However, when I look at previous postings on this forum,it sounds like a week in QC might be too long. We could rent a car to see the falls, go to St. Anne for a day, etc. I have been looking at renting apartments/houses as it would more reasonable for a family. There are two apartments I have been looking at. One in downtown QC and one in the upper town, near the Chateau Frontenac. Any suggestions on any part of this vacation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Your question is a little confusing - Quebec City is made up of the old, walled portion, which is divided into an upper and lower section. They both are quite nice. I prefer the upper area especially near the Chateau Frontenac, because of the beautiful view.
Quebec City also has a 'regular' city that is much like any other city, and not particularly interesting, except for the streets just outside the old city walls. I would recommend staying in or very close to the Old City, either upper or lower. If you stay in QC for a week, you will definitely want a car to explore the countryside as the old city can be seen in a day or two.
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Hello! In regards to downtown, I was looking at an apartment in the St.Roche area. It describes it as being situated in the more modern part of downtown an area that is being revitalized. I wasn't sure that with young adults, maybe they'd enjoy a more modern location.Sorry I should of been more specific instead of just stating downtown. Thanks for your advise to rent a car. I think we'll rent one on a day to day basis, because it sounds like parking might be an issue.
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Quebec City is rather small, so location probably isn't critical.

With the "youngsters", I'd recommend more time in Montreal than QC. Montreal is larger, and there's more to see and do.
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM

The Quebec's Old City is MUCH more interesting than it's downtown to anyone, including teens. There are lots of lively cafes, clubs, stores etc. Quebec City's downtown is ok, but would never be my first choice.
In Montreal on the other hand, the downtown and the Plateau area would be more interesting than it's Old City for teens.
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the advice. We'll try to find something in the old city.
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Staying inside the walls of Old Québec is a classic experience, and if this is your first visit to the city, I would recommend it.

You might, however, want to visit the St. Roch quartier. Until a few years ago it was a rundown, grotty neighbourhood with nothing for visitors. It has, however, been revitalized with trendy restaurants, bars and shops and a former parkling lot has been turned into an attractive park. There's an interesting piece from the New York Times on St. Roch.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/travel/26surf.html

A week in Québec City is not too much if you get out into the countryside. With a car you can easily do daytrips to the Montmorency Falls and Ile d'Orléans. Further afield is the Charlevoix region, including the artist's town of Baie Ste. Paul. The views along the shore near Les Eboulements are stunning.

I think that you could even make a day trip to the mouth of the Saguenay for a whale watching trip. Tours leave from Baie Ste. Catherine and Tadoussac. However you would be best to make it an overnight. The whales which congregate during the summer at this place are among the greatest number and variety of the entire East Coast. (Humpback, Blue, Fin, Minke and Beluga can all be seen--on our recent trip we saw all except a Blue). Here's more on whale watching:

http://tinyurl.com/2ql7tt

You can also take a day's cruise from Québec to Grosse Ile, the former quarantine station established in 1834. It's a national historic site and there are costumed animators to bring to life this essential and tragic piece of Canadian history. I would highly recommend it.

You probably don't need any suggestions on the city itself, but don't miss the changing of the guard or beating of retreat by the Royal 22e Régiment at the Citadel.

Enjoy your visit.
Feb 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Laverendrye for your advice. The whale watching looks interesting as well as Baie St.Paul.Now just to finalize who actually is all coming along!
Feb 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM

See, i disagree with all 4. Quebec City such a close city, that location is completely irrelevant. As for old town it is great the first night but I usually stay for a week and i tell you, try to find parkign in old town... let alone you'll spend a day, maybe two before you're exploring the rest of the city. I did however stay at a Condo in St. Roche (QuebecCityCondo.com) and LOVED it. highly recommend it!