Aug or Sept for Toronto, Niagara Falls

Sep 8th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Aug or Sept for Toronto, Niagara Falls

Traveling as two couples and we have an itinerary of flying to Montreal and renting car and going straight to Quebec City for 3 nights. Then back to Montreal for 2 days. Up to Ottawa for the day and end up outside of city for the night. Next day take short cruise of Thousand Islands then drive down to Niagara Falls for 2 nights, then back up to Toronto for 1 or 2 nights then home. My concerns:

1) Is August too crazy with tourists in these spots in August- particularly N Falls or is that the best time to go since they have lights and fireworks at night? Tourist attractions at N Falls ultra busy in August with families? Would Sept be better?

2) Sept brings the Toronto FilmFestival for 2 weeks and I have heard it's tough to travel to Toronto then -- hotels booked, rates higher, flights filled. We were thinking of the first two weeks of Sept once Labor Day vacation is over but August also is appealing for firework festival in Q City and perhaps the weather.

Please give us advice and you're welcome to comment on the 11 day itinerary we're working on for 2019. Have plenty of time but want to be ready when flights open for FF Miles and other issues. Appreciate the help. Byron Elaine
Sep 11th, 2018, 07:25 AM

There's plenty of room for you at either time at the Falls... the main attractions have time stamp options when busy, so you can plan around that option... the lights on the Falls are on nightly, but the fireworks end after labor day. It is less crowded after the kiddies start school, but the crowds add to the attraction... I would plan for August and not worry about the Niagara crowds... also add Niagara on the Lake to your plan, especially if you like wine touring. The best restaurants are in the wine region.

Toronto has summer festivals constantly, so check the calendar for your favorite activities. The film festival does limit your access to certain restaurants and areas of the city, especially where the celebrities hang out. Unless you are looking for that excitement, August may be a better choice.

In summary, August seems to be a good time to do and see what you want, but either way is fine. Have fun!
Sep 12th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for suggestions. I now feel good about either choice and we'll see which month has the least personal conflicts. Any suggestions where to stay at Niagara? I don't want a high rise overlooking the Falls but would prefer a smaller hotel or B&B if they have those in the area. Ideas??? Maybe could stay away from the Falls and go in for the day.
Sep 13th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Check out the Niagara on the Lake Chamber website or google b&b's in Niagara on the Lake. .. there are dozens of choices and also several great inns and hotels in the village. You might also look into cottages on the lake... definitely a better choice for lodging than the touristy Falls area...

Search this Thread