Changing Money in Canada?

Jun 6th, 2018, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Changing Money in Canada?

Wondering if we need to plan to change money in Canada, or if most places take credit cards.
We'll be going to the Canadian Rockies ( Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper) so maybe those more rustic areas require cash more than eastern cities?
Thanks all.
Jun 6th, 2018, 04:03 AM

I'm sure you'll see plenty of ATMs in those areas.
Jun 6th, 2018, 07:01 AM

I donít think Iíve ever run into a cash only place in those areas, except perhaps at small festivals where youíre buying a hot dog.

Iím Canadian and our cards are chip and pin. I assume that is no longer an issue for visitors?
Jun 6th, 2018, 09:09 AM

I haven't had any issues with my chip (but no pin) card in Europe, and I don't expect to have any issues in Toronto in August. (you should come to the GTG, xcountry)
Jun 6th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Elberko - thanks for the reminder. Iíll be in London with son number 2. He needs someone to carry some of his luggage. But even if I wasnít I think my wife would hide the car keys. Sheís never quite got her head around people who socialize on the Internet. Apparently I should be fixing things around the house.
Jun 6th, 2018, 06:20 PM

Rustic? Banff was built to squeeze money out of tourists.Since money has gone electronic, they have powered-up cash machines But it is a foreign currency, so it might be wise to read the fine print on your cards to see what extra fees your bank may impose for credit charges or retrieving ATM cash.
Jun 7th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by xcountry View Post
... I think my wife would hide the car keys. Sheís never quite got her head around people who socialize on the Internet...
Your wife will be relieved to know that new security measures make it harder and harder for us to bring our axes on flights and across international borders.
Jun 7th, 2018, 08:11 AM

you are going to be visiting highly touristed areas.. ( and they are worth it. beautiful country) .. so credit and debit cards will be accepted almost everywhere.. and we have ATMs everywhere too.

If you use your American money many places will take it.. but the exchange will not be good.. best to withdraw Canadian money from your ATM for cash if you want cash.. but as I said.. plastic will be accepted most places..
Jun 16th, 2018, 05:57 PM

Have a great trip, you will love it!!!!!!

Search this Thread