Notices

EMV Chip and Pin Cards - News article

Aug 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

EMV Chip and Pin Cards - News article

This was in our local paper today. Makes for interesting reading,

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/07/2...ylink=misearch
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link. It's good to know that Visa is going to require switching to card-reading machines that read the chip by 2015.

One question I have, though, is why Canadians can't use their cards in the US. Don't they also have a magnetic strip? So far, the chip cards issued in the US have both chips and magnetic strips.
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:53 PM

From what I've read, for the most part most chip cards issued in most places in the world, although I can't answer the question specifically about Canada, coninue to have magnetic strips for use in backiward countries tht haven't entered the 21st century (I can think of one) when it comes to credit card technology.

I'm xyz123 and I approved this message.
Aug 6th, 2012, 04:22 AM

Canadian cards still have magnetic stripes to swipe. It is still possible to encounter an older card reader, although rare. In my opinion the switch to chip-and-pin has gone so much faster in Canada than the US because Canada's banking system is much more centralized.
Aug 6th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Actually, one of the other reasons in Canada is they are much more willing to be part of the world commjunithy and don'thave this attitude that the US has that everythinbg done in the US is better than anywhere else in the world. The chip and pin cards is one example of this. But there are others.

You guys have long since gone metroic. Roads are calibrated in km like 99% of the rest of the world (and your highway system is quite large and area wise, you are bigger than the US). Temperatures are measured in celsius like 99% of the rest of the world. You've said your treasury millions by abandoning the printing of $1 and $2 bank notes and replacing them by the looney and twoney coins. These are all thjngs the United States refuses to do. It's as if the USA on these matters is saying we"re sane and the rest of the world is crazy and although I understand the vast majority of people never leave the continental United States, it is still to me kind of embarassing to see a supposedly inteligent person walk up to a hotel clerk in Dublin, ask what the temperature is, be told it is17 degrees and say, but what temperature is it really. Oh well. I'll be long gone before the USA enters the 21st ce4ntury.

I'm xyz123 and I approved this message.
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Canada's banking system isn't "centralized" - it has only 5 major banks that control most of the market and that doesn't always benefit the consumer, given a relative lack of competition. It does, however, allow the regulators to run a much tighter ship.

But the real reason the US hasn't been at the forefront of adopting chip/PIN technology has to do with numbers. Remember that you could swipe your card in the US for a 50 cent luggage trolley at the airport way back when a lot of merchants in other parts of the work were charging fees using a credit card. The US has a considerably higher number of card transactions than anywhere else in the world - that means when there is a technology change (like chip/PIN), it's easier for the small 30 million population countries like Canada to adopt it right away, but in the US - you'll have to change hundreds of millions of card terminals to accept the new technology.

The metric bit is a pain for visitors to the US - not Amercians, hence a limited incentive to change. Imagine Grandma trying to figure out 0.907 kilograms of beef, when what she really wants is exactly 2 pounds.
Aug 16th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Hi DebitNM I know you keep up on this and try to keep us all informed. Thought you would be interested in this list I found from an article on creditcards.com The list is of all currently available Chip and Pin Cards in the US.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...vTUMxdUE#gid=0

If you would like to read the article below is the link.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...cards-1271.php

Search this Thread