Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

CDC has reissued a current travel alert (SARS) for Toronto, Canada, recommending that U.S. travelers observe precautions to safeguard their health.

Search

CDC has reissued a current travel alert (SARS) for Toronto, Canada, recommending that U.S. travelers observe precautions to safeguard their health.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CDC has reissued a travel alert for Toronto, Canada, recommending that U.S. travelers observe precautions to safeguard their health. We will have a lay over of a few hours in Toronto on the way to and from Quebec City. I just read on webMD that cautions were issued due to SARS. Does anyone have any recent personal experience or information on the precautions at the Toronto airport? I had thought the threat was over when I booked through that airport. Thanks.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM
BAK

You are wrong about any danger in Toronto.

BAK
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, BAK. I was neither right nor wrong. I was questioning what I had read and asking for further info. Following is my response to Borealis who posted after I did.This to Borealis: I did not intend this as a rumour, simply requested kind response from someone who may have more personal info. The info I quoted was from msn.com and webMD. On the WHO website I saw that the date onset of last probable case in Canada is 12 June 03, with the alert being dropped June 8, 03 according to the CDC website. I did check for accurate info, though the info appeared to be conflicting. No need to scold so, Borealis.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:54 AM
JMM

Gulliver - you are amazing - your post is titled "CDC reissued a current travel alert etc" THEN you claim just to be seeking information. As if one makes an inflamatory post on a TRAVEL Board for this kind of information. Never heard of the CDC or WHO I guess. You know what you are and you should hang your head in shame.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Author: gulliver
Date: 09/11/2003, 03:44 pm
Message: No, JMM, you are mistaken about my intent entirely. I am not as savvy a poster as you are and now see that I should have placed quotes around the subject and then a question mark since I was quoting from the soiurce of my info. I just know that it's important to have a subject that contains enough info to get a response. I later found a posting titled simply "SARS in TORONTO" to which you had also responded. It had exactly the type of info I was looking for(from friendly, helpful people living there). That's why I find the forums so helpful, because you get the real scoop from people on the spot. I asked in order to feel that I had informed myself before the trip. After reading that thread I am relieved and looking forward to the trip.

CDC=Center for Disease Control
WHO=World Health Organization

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:31 PM

After going to both the CDC and WHO sites, there were no current travel alerts for Canada.
The WHO does caution any citizens of the USA to be careful when traveling due to terrorist threats.
Nowhere did I see SARS mentioned.
Perhaps you could give the link here where you read it or copy & paste it?
Thanks, Kate
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:32 PM

http://travel.state.gov/wwc1.html
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:50 PM

My question is, are Gulliver and Borealis the same person, and if so, they are a troll.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Message: Kate2, at the end of this message is the link as you requested. Actually, I did cut and paste the words I used for the subject of my first post. Being so severly reprimanded, I'll need to be more cautious in the future. First time I ever had a bad experience using fodors forum, though I have read angry responses to other people's questions and I know that these can get pretty nasty, thoug to me it defeats the purpose. I am appreciative to those who answered civily in an attempt to help me out. As far as I am concerned, my questions were answered from a different thread. My apologies to those who are experienced posters.

http://content.health.msn.com/conten...e/63/71933.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Carolred,

I am definitely NOT gulliver. I am relatively new to the Fodor site, and I have never seen gulliver post on the Canadian forum before.

And I am dismayed that this particular posting keeps topping, so this will be the last time that I respond to it.

If you want the authoritative source of information for travel/health advisories and alerts, go directly to the CDC website, please do not rely on this website at all.

And if you are planning to visit Toronto, please DO come and enjoy yourself!!