Flight Problem Please Help In Panic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving for Europe in 11 days (with help from all of you) and now WHO issues the SARS advisory for Toronto and that 's where our flight is from. Since one of us has had asthma in the past we are taking it seriously. British Air offered a refund or we can fly from another airport, but it will cost almost an additional $600.00. Any ideas where we can find another cheap flight? We reserved weeks ago and had a great ticket. Please help.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Northwest Airlines is having a big sale right now to Europe, check out their site and see if there is anything.

Good luck!

Wendy
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM

From your e-mail I understand that you are not living in Toronto, are you switching the planes there? In this case I wouldn't worry. SARS is in the city, not in the airport. You can wear a mask. Ask your doctor what else you can do. I wouldn't change my travel plans unless Toronto airport is quaranteened.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:16 PM
nkh

There is another message about flying through Toronto that you should read - posted earlier today. I live and work in Toronto and did also respond to that thread, so clicking on my name should bring it up.

As a quick repeat - dont panic. There seems to be an impression being created that SARS is running rife and unchecked - this is not accurate.

Please read the thread, and also the excellent CDC website SARS advisory site

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/index.htm
(original reference posted on the Canada board) before deciding. Note that the CDC has NOT issued a travel warning, just an advisory that those coming to Toronto stay away from hospitals and use sensible health precautions. Also note that many Canadian authorities are extremely upset since they feel the travel advisory issued by WHO is unjustified, especially since they dont actually seem to have sent anyone to Toronto to fact-find before issuing the advisory. Canadian officials are currently lobbying (with the actual medical evidence) to have it removed.

I am not a medical professional, so my advice is obviously not "expert" but I and many others believe that the SARS threat has to be put in perspective (read the National Post article listed in the other thread - its great for this). I also have had asthma, so understand your concerns if there was a genuine risk but honestly feel you should have no worry in travelling to Toronto.

Having said all of that, of course you must do what makes you feel comfortable. Have a great trip, whatever you choose to do.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM

I agree.Has BA already cancelled your flight? Plz read this link and I know you'll feel more assured.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/04/24...ada/index.html
Go and have a great time.peace.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

BA has not yet cancelled our flight, so I will look up this thread. Also, will check out Northwest. We live in Michigan and we were only going through Toronto as we love the city and fly often from there. I don't understand why BA would rather I cancel than let me change with a slight upcharge. Should I try to negotiate again?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:57 PM

Why cancel or rebook? Just take your original flight. Don't let the hype scare you. If you feel you need it, take masks and wash your hands religiously. We're leaving for London next month, and there is no way I'm going to change my plans based on a bug going around. Calm down, review your plans, and go have a good time on vacation.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Bootman4U

Agree about not changing plans. Unless you are within two to three feet of a person with SARS who is coughing or sneezing it is unlikely you'll have athing to worry about..and I AM a "medical professional" and Infectious Diseases are my specialty.

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 01:00 PM

I am not a doctor, but I am a sane human being. Go via Toronto. Wear a mask if you must. There is a risk, but I would say it is very small.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:22 PM

To put this into perspective, there hasn't been a new case of SARS in the community since April 9. Any transmission since then has been in health-care settings.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. We were advised today that BA would not refund our tickets, so we will go with peace of mind thanks to all of you.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:50 PM

Consider this: If none of the airport workers are staying home or wearing masks (saw live shots on the news today), how worried should you be?