Toronto - What to see and where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Toronto for a couple of days in September as part of our trip to Niagara Falls. I just received a book from the tourism bureau and wondered what area would be best to stay in? What are the best places to visit in a limited stay? We are interested in historic areas, sites & homes.

Thanks for any advice that anybody can offer.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Syv

Perhaps re-post this under CANADA and you'll get more replies.

Must see for historic: CASA LOMA, & go up the world's tallest: CN TOWER.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:11 PM

mlm,

I've been to Toronto twice. Once we stayed at the Hilton and the second time we stayed at the Holiday Inn on King St., which we found much more proximate to the shows we were seeing in the venues right on that street, and we could walk right to them. At that time, we saw Lion King and Mama Mia and only had to walk a block or two to get there. Also several restaurants line King Street as well, and it's not too far of a walk to the CN Tower. Casa Loma is also worth visiting, but be sure to check out the theatre schedule and plan to visit several shows while there--great way to spend a couple evenings!

Try this site for Toronto info:

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/

or for Theatre:

www.mirvish.com
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hugglynn for your suggestions. Syv - I didn't even think about the Canada board until after I had already posted. I'll try a search on the Canada board for Toronto. Thanks to both of you for responding.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM

While it does make sense to post on the Canada board, I can warn you that will probably not get you more replies. That board is dead, sometimes with not more than a post or two per day, and sometimes none at all in a day. I've often posted questions which go totally unanswered. You've already gotten more info here than I've gotten on some of my questions there.
But it is a good place to do a search for specific topic areas on Toronto.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM

I agree, Patrick! I have posted several times on the Canada board and rarely get the responses I would like... this board is sometimes better, even though it irritates some people.

I have spent a couple of weeks in Toronto and while we enjoyed the city, we opted to head to Niagra Falls one weekend and a quaint little town called St Jacobs on another...
I really enjoyed the trip to St Jacobs, a little Mennonite community nice shopping for quilts and other hand made items and a great farmers market where I bought homemade smoked sausage, maple items and had a great lunch!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jacobs,_Ontario
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM
BAK

Patrick, you give lousy advice,

In the Canada forum there's message after message written about Toronto, with a lot of excellent information written by knowledgable people who go to significant trouble to help tourists.

You should be ashamed of yourself for steering this person away from excellent advice.

If you ever posted a question that was not answered, it was either for some obscure part of the country -- what's a good Japanese restaurant in Yorkton, perhaps -- or in some other way unworthy, perhaps judged to be a troll.

There's right now an unanswered question about a honey company in the wilderness of Vancouver island. And no-one can comment on a play in some small theatre.

That's it, other than a recent question about hotel discounters.