Search

Casual Dress in Montreal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
afc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casual Dress in Montreal?

Will be visiting Montreal in early August and if it is warm are shorts acceptable for most restaurants at night. Last time I was in NYC I was surprised at the number of people in shorts having dinner at places I was reluctant to wear them.
Thanks
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM
BAK

Montreal women dress up to go to the supermarket.

So...

On the other hand, it's a tourist town, and restauranteurs put up with everyone.

A couple of years ago we were moving into a new house in Montreal, and after a day of lugging boxes while dressed in jeans, stopped for dinner at the Bar-D-Barn.

But we were going to eat using other-peoples-money, and the parking sport was rtight in front of Chez La Mere Michel.

Long story short -- we were welcomed, dinner was great, service even better, and it was a fine way to spend $300 of someone else's money on expenses.

But if you want to be part of the high class spirit of a nice restauarant in a very stylish city, go back to the hotel and change.

BAK
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:45 PM

You know, I don't agree that Montreal women dress up. I used to think that, but I've now spent the last 2 months working downtown and it seems like people here dress pretty similar to those in Toronto. Or at least the people I see in Toronto.

Now I wouldn't wear shorts to dinner anywhere in Toronto or Montreal, so I don't think it's really appropriate. But maybe it depends on the restaurant?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I would be terribly embarrassed going out to dinner in Montreal at anything other than a fast-food joint in shorts. Wearing something nice--not overly dressy, but certainly ladylike--is part of fitting in with the Montreal scene. And fine dining is a big part of the Montreal scene, so I assume you would not waste a Montreal dinner on a couple slices of pizza or the like. Anyway, it tends not to be that hot at night--you might want to bring a light jacket, just in case. I assume a woman is asking the question, but if you are a man, I would also look askance at a man who showed up in shorts at a nice restaurant in Montreal.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM
afc
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM

On the other hand, the 'new' longer Bermuda short is all the style and they are wearing them with a jacket and a wedgie heel and they are quite dressy. I would think they would be ok as long as the place wasn't really high class.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Montreal women do not dress up to go to the supermarket. Many Montreal women just dress fashionably in general.

They usually dress up to go to nicer restaurants. I agree that the knee length shorts paired with a camisole and a fitted jacket would be a great outfit, but a regular pair of shorts wouldn't.

A nice T-shirt or camisole, a skirt and a cute pair of sandals would be perfect for a night out in August.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Contrary to what some posters have stated, Montreal is generally not a formal town in the European-sense. Montreal women generally DO NOT dress up to go shopping. Having lived here for 23 years, I believe that I can state this quite honestly. Shorts are worn throughout by both men and women at all times of the day during the summer months and in July and August it can get uncomfortably hot and humid. If someone is going to look "askance" at someone who wears shorts to dinner, then that is their problem, not yours, unless of course you are seeking the approval of others. If however you are going to a night club or a fancier restaurant, I would encourage you to wear more appropriate clothes but honestly, Montreal is a very casual city and generally you will be okay with anything. Dress to be comfortable and don't be concerned with the fashion police on Fodors.