Victoria/Tofino bound

Search

Victoria/Tofino bound

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria/Tofino bound

I will be going to BC at the end of June. My stay includes five days in Tofino and three days in Victoria. How about some ideas in regards to fun activities, restaurants and things that shouldn't be missed.

Thanks in advance for your high quality suggestions!!!
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:23 AM
ltt

while in tofino, take a day trip to the hot springs.
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

ltt,

Thanks for the information.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:12 AM

We were planning to stay in Tofino for 4 days in September but two men I work with, who transferred here from BC, convinced me to change our itinerary. They said 2 days is plenty so we've added an extra night in Vancouver and a night in Whistler.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:41 PM

It has been a couple of years since my visit but two places we loved were the Common Loaf (great Tofino bars) and the Raincoast Cafe. Fabulous halibut. I still drool just thinking about it.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM

Hello Terpster,
weŽre going to Ucluelet in September at the end of our 2 weeks trip. We want some relaxing time to load the battery for "back to our business" in Germany. We decided to stay 3 nights there, because the way to the westcoast is very far. WeŽll also stay in Victoria and it takes the whole day driving incl. visiting Chemanius etc. We choosed the Tauca Lea Resort in Ucluelet, they have outside tubs on the balcony and kitchen, fireplace etc. and also offer massages, so it doesnŽt matter, if the weather is not that nice. During these days we have the Hot Spring and Whale watching tour on program as well as Pacific Rim NP. Maybe these ideas are little helpful.
Best regards
Constanze
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:14 AM

Hi terpster, I would recommend taking the zodiac tour to hotsprings cove. Hiking the trails around Pacific Rim National Park.The tree's and under growth is amazing. Also walk through the sea caves to the left off Chesterman beach at low tide. Watch the kayak surfers on Chesterman beach. Take long walks along the beach and just watch out for rogue waves
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great ideas!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:04 PM

The best thing we did on our trip to tofino was a canoe trip with Tlaook Tours (www.tlaook.com). We paddled a traditional dug-out canoe across from Tofino to Mears Island. On Mears Island we had a short hike to see the big trees and then paddled back.

Our guide Giselle was fantastic, when we were paddling she was telling us the history of her tribe, the on-going treaty negotiations with the BC government and sang us traditional paddling songs. It was so peaceful and beautiful and very moving, spoiled only when we had to "repay" her in song and did an awful rendition of Row Row Row Your Boat

On Mears Island she told us about the plants and their traditional uses and even selected berries, leaves and roots for us to try.

Altogether the trip lasted about 4.5 hours and boy were my arms sore the next day but it was so worth it.

Can't wait to go back.

By the way we thought The Common Loaf was overrated and much preferred Breakers for drinks, sandwiches and pizza. One place not to miss eating is SOBO in the botanical gardens - best chowder ever.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
ltt

i'm surprised that someone would say that 2 nights is enough in this area. i stayed 3 and would have loved at least one more.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM

If the whales around and the temperature is warm, you will wan to try whale watching, I am sure.

I did a bear watch with Jamie's. They also do whale watches. There are a number of companies offering similar excursions. You can't go wrong getting out on the water (unless the Pacific is not so "pacific&quot, as the whole area is gorgeous.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Terpster

Recently spent the day at Botanical Beach 2 hrs west of Victoria. Check for a low tide for brautiful pothole tide pools

In town BC Royal Museum is excellent. Bicycling the Galloping Goose

For reasonable outdoor dining ( both on the water try Glo or Canoe Brew Pub

Water taxis crisscross the harbour

In town bicycling Dallas Road? Beach Drive

Swimming ( cool water) Gonzales beach

enjoy

AndrewDavid