Cabot Trail dining

May 22nd, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Cabot Trail dining

In July my mother and I will be driving the Cabot Trail in one day (beginning at Baddeck). Any recommendations for lunch and possibly dinner along the way? (Nothing exhorbitant -- $20 CDN or less) What about the restaurants at the Keltic Lodge? Is the most expensive restaurant there the only one with a view? Appreciate all comments.
May 23rd, 2003, 01:29 AM

I am sure you could do lunch at Keltic for $20 without drinks (ie liquor). The view is awesome!
May 23rd, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Tanya, are you referring to the fanciest restaurant at Keltic Lodge? If so, how dressed up would we have to be? Also, do you know of any good Acadien restaurants along the route that we could try?
May 23rd, 2003, 07:54 AM
wow

Hi, Laura! Well to sum it up: There is no comparison in terms of quality of food & ambiance b/t the Dining Room in the Main Lodge @ Keltic Lodge and what has been referred to over the years as "the coffee shop" now located at the bottom of the hill below the Main Lodge & across from "The Inn". Many years ago, "The Coffee Shop" was located in the basement of the Main Lodge. As the name implies, it was much more casual than the Main Dining Room. Then a new restaurant was built on the current coffee shop site across from The Inn and "The Basement Coffee Shop" was closed. That "new" Coffee Shop burned to the ground & was rebuilt.

Take your Mother to lunch or dinner in The Main Dining Room! Don't worry about what to wear. Keep in mind that this is a prime tourist destination. Huge tour buses pull up on a regular basis & people spill out into the Dining Room. They are wearing what you wld. expect people to wear on a bus tour! As long as you stay away from "messy casual" (really short shorts, tank tops, swimsuits, jeans) & go with "Dressy casual" for dinner or simply "casual" for lunch you will be fine. Last time we were there my mother wore cream colored slacks, a linen blazer & a silk blouse to dinner. I wore, blk linen capris, blk linen shirt & sandals. Next morning at breakfast, I wore 'golf shorts', sleeveless white T & Mum wore coral slacks & white blouse. If we had been there for Lunch we wld. have worn our "breakfast attire"!

Ask for a table by the window. The dining room has huge windows on both sides each affording panoramic views so you can't go wrong on either side.

Have a great time! Bring lots of film! Are you going beginning, middle or end of July?
May 23rd, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tanya and "wow," for the helpful information! We are leaving for Nova Scotia on the 7th of July, but will be on PEI and in Antigonish for the Highland Games before we make it to Cape Breton Island. We'll be staying in Baddeck from July 13-16, with visits to Louisbourg, the Cabot Trail, the Bell Museum, and Highland Village. Too many things to see, not enough time!
May 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM

If in Antigonish try Giselle's for an awesome meal!

I agree with the previous post - do the main dining room and don't worry about your dress for lunch.

If in Cheticamp, we stopped at wonderful spot (dining/lounge) on the water. Great Acadian food. I had their meat pie which was to die for! Served with a homemade condiment - asked for the recipe but didn't get it!

Enjoy your trip!
May 25th, 2003, 03:32 AM

My brother told me they had a great meal a few weeks back at the Lobster Treat on the outskirts of Antigonish.
May 25th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info, Tanya. It's nice to have some restaurant recommendations for Antigonish!
Jun 1st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

thank you, tartan tours!