Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a personal review of the Strathcona Hotel in downtown Toronto?

Aug 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
TC
Original Poster

Have booked a good rate at the Strathcona hotel in downtown Toronto later this year during a meeting. Their web site indicates the hotel is set to be remodeled. Manager emails that the hallways have been done, but the room rehab won't start until December. Happy with that as we shouldn't have construction noise during our stay. However, I'm wondering how bad the rooms are in need of an upgrade. The web photos look quite good, but there must be some reason they are doing a total overhaul. Should we stay or should I be looking for an alternative? The hotel gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. Looking for Fodor's opinions.

http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/

Thanks.
Aug 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM

I think it depends on what you're looking for, TC. It's a good location and a decent hotel. I haven't stayed there myself but my god-daughter and her boyfriend stayed there last year and they thought it was fine. I wouldn't expect anything more than the basics and if they're going to remodel, you can be sure that it either needs it or they're planning to raise the rates.

That's all I can tell you so let's hear what the others have to say.

How much (do you mind me asking?) are you paying? Have you checked around?
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick response. We are paying $135 CDN (we are from the U.S.), so that is a good rate. There is a huge medical meeting at the Metro Convention Center (which appears to be about a block away) and rates on the more known downtown Toronto hotels are much higher and most have no availability because of the meeting. The trip advisor reviews sound o.k. Usually anything is fine for the duration of a short meeting. I was just looking for a recent first hand review. All on trip advisor are a bit dated.

Thanks again.
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Hi

I'm probably the wrong person to advise you given that I tend to like inns in old houses with character and when I read that people are looking for upgraded rooms I'm totally in the dark as to what exactly they're looking for. My own taste tends to be the creakier the wooden staircase, the more 19th century family portraits and bookcases with years-old novels the better . I like hints of eccentricity and creative flourish.

However, I did stay there one night in June, mostly for its proximity to Union Station, where I was arriving and leaving from. It feels like a standard business traveler chain hotel to me. My room looked like most every business-traveller room I've seen, and was modern and comfortable. No construction was going on.

CONS: Continental breakfast not included in room price, impersonal business hotel.

PROS: Efficient, down-to-business front desk, close to subway and Union Station for getting around, Tim Horton's across street for cheap breakfast .

That's all I can think of. Enjoy your time in Toronto.

DAN

Aug 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM

I've been drinking in their bar but not recently however, walking past last week it looked like the entrance to the bar had been spruced up and it's now called a pub - the owner, I believe, is Irish.

As others have said, it's a good location for the convention centre with Tim Horton's across the road and the food court in the TD Centre almost as handy.

And you can have lunch outside the convention centre as the chip wagons will be parked outside it on Front Street.
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM

My wife and I have stayed there on three occasions and we find it very satisfactory for the price. The rooms are clean and small, but the location is excellent for it is within easy walking distance to where you wish to go. As long as you don't expect a pool or views from your room, it is fine. I would be quite happy to recommend it.
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
BAK

A couple of years ago my friend Charles stayed there. He's a world-traveller, and in many cities a local host tries to impress him by putting him a really nice hotel.

So, his standards are pretty high, and he found the Strathcona to be fine. Apparently his Toronto host is a cheapskate, but, for all the reasons above, the hotel turned out to be a good choice.

Five minute walk to the convention centre.

BAK
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:58 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thank you one and all. You have made me comfortable with our choice. It is a hotel to be used strictly while attending a meeting at the conventin center. It sounds as though the choice is excellent for that purpose. My expectations are as you describe -- small rooms, passable service. I do want clean and furnishings that are in working order with a tiny touch of style. Do not expect a view, pool, spa or even a restaurant. Tim Horton's nearby is perfect! A treat we do not have in the States -- at least not in my state. Cheers.
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:22 PM

And you got a great rate! Have fun.
Aug 14th, 2008, 07:46 AM
BAK

TC, how are you getting to Toronto?

The big express buses from the airport (highway bus types) stop at the Fairmont Royal York, which is right across the street from the Strathcona, making them a convenient and reasonably priced way of getting to the hotel from the airport.

The hotel's web site has an exterior photo of the hotel: the photographer stood almost where the bus stops in order to get the shot.

BAK
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
TC
Original Poster

BAK, We are flying into YYZ. Thanks for the tip. I shall check the airport web site for information on bus service from airport to hotel. With two, it is often nearly the same price to take a taxi as to purchase two bus tickets, but I will check. We shall only require one way from airport to hotel as we will stay over the weekend with friends and depart from their home after our meeting.

Thank you again.
Nov 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
TC
Original Poster

As a follow-up. We enjoyed our stay at the Strathcona hotel. The rooms are small, but have good floor plans and space management. The hallways on our floor had been refurbished, but the rooms were not. I felt there was little wrong with them currently, so should be much better after remodel. Hotel is in an excellent location for downtown Toronto -- very good for a meeting at the Convention Center, shopping or symphony. Tim Horton across the street for breakfast and fast lunches. Attentive staff. Business center in lobby. Much less expensive than other nearby hotels. I would definately stay here again.
Nov 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Glad to hear you had a good stay. And thanks for following up -- it's good to have updated information!
Nov 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM

We stayed there last Sept. It's well located and fine.Paul