Antigonish Highland Games

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Laura

Antigonish Highland Games

My family is planning to attend the Antigonish Highland Games next summer. Would love to hear from those who've gone -- recommendations for b&b lodging, favorite parts of festival, etc. Thanks!

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:09 AM
t

For Laura

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Tanya

Not sure that you can spend an entire week just doing the highland games. The opening ceremonies (I believe a parade precedes it) and some of the more traditional scottish events (like caber tossing)is interesting. Theatre Antigonish may have a production happening the same time - usually good. Try Gabrieau's Bistro - excellent food! You are very close to Cape Breton Island and I would recommend you spend a couple of days exploring it. The Celtic College, if you are interested in Scottish traditions, would be an excellent spot for you to visit. Not far from Antigonish is a lovely drive to Guysborough. Very picturesque. There is an awesome B&B there in the town. Check out www.desbarresmanor.com Also Sherbrooke Village is a short distance away. Have you ordered your doers and dreamers guide for Nova Scotia? Call 1-800-565-0000.

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Laura

Tanya, Thanks so much for the recommendations. Actually we will be in Antigonish for just a couple of days, arriving Friday afternoon and leaving sometime Sunday. We do plan to travel to Cape Breton Island for about 4-5 days to see the Cabot Trail, Highland Villege, the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, Fortress Louisbourg, etc. I had not heard of Guysborough or Sherbrooke Village. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Nov 12th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Tanya

I guess I recommend Guysborough and Sherbrooke thinking you were spending all of your time in Antigonish. Perhaps you can save it for another visit. It isn't exciting, but certainly beautiful scenery. Sherbrooke village is a recreation of an authentic village back in the 1800's. They have a blacksmiths shop, potter, etc. and a restaurant on site.

Cape Breton is absolutely breathtaking. You will certainly enjoy everything you have mentioned. We rented a beautiful old house in Baddeck which we used as our centre point. About 2 hours from Louisbourg and minutes from the trail. If you call the Telegraph House Inn and ask to rent the house they can arrange it for you. It is 3 bedrooms and they charged $169/night. All amenities are there and about a 2 second walk to the waterfront.

Nov 14th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Laura

Thanks for the recommendations. The house in Baddeck sounds delightful!