Cape Breton Help Needed

Search

Cape Breton Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Breton Help Needed

After seeing high/low tide at Hopewell Rocks, I had originally planned to drive to the Keltic Lodge and use that as a base for Cape Breton (3 nights). We won't leave the Hopewell Rocks until about noon as the tides are not as cooperative as they could be. However, it has now dawned on me that I would have to do the entire Cape Breton Trail in a single day - which seems like too much driving. Should we go instead to Cheticamp or Baddeck the first night? Or go to Keltic as planned but leave a day early, do the trail and end in Baddeck. I want to do it all, know I can't and so need help to narrow down.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I would break your drive somewhere along the way. Driving distances in Nova Scotia are longer than they look on the map. For example, driving from Yarmouth to Sydney the fast way (up the middle) would take 10-12 hours.

Remember, it is a vacation--not a forced march.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM
ltt

definitly break it up. i personally didn't like cheticamp but staying on that side of the island would allow you to drive the cabot trail one way on your way to the keltic lodge. then you can explore it going the other direction the next day.
check out http://www.macleods.com/inn.html
i think i'd consider there for one night.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM

We did the trail in one day, but two would have been ideal. There are so many places to stop, look, hike, etc. We used Baddeck as our base (a week) and loved it. Centrally located and a neat place on it's own - Alexander Graham Bell Museum, boating on the lake, shops, restaurants - a good spot. We stayed at the Broadwater Inn and I would recommend it. http://www.broadwater.baddeck.com/

Alison
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:19 AM

We just toured Cape Breton Island and endorse itt with suggestion of McLeods Inn just north of Inverness. We left Halifax late morning and were in Inverness midafternoon , the tourism office located just as you enter Cape Breton recommended McLeods. We planned a 1-night stop but liked it so much we spent a second night.

Don't bother wasting your time with the single-malt whisky tour at nearby Glenora: it's a hurried dash by the young guide to look at the closed plant (they only distill in the winter) a small glass of whisky, barely a sip, and it's $7 per person.

If you like lobster, we had the tastiest and best value in NS ($CAD 21.99) at Coal Miners Cafe in Inverness. Re-Huff, the other eating establishment in towm, less said the better.