Best Route NY to Quebec City?

May 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Best Route NY to Quebec City?

We're tentatively planning a trip to Quebec City via car, but are confused about the best route from the NYC area. Mapquest routes me straight up through upstate NY on 87 into Canada. But when I look at a map, it looks like I could also go through Vermont.

Since I'd like to break up the trip and stay over one night, any suggestions as to the best route and and a place to stay on the way? I had thought somewhere in Vermont might be nice, but not if it's really out of the way. I would need to stay away from any prime summer resort spot (such as Lake George or Saratoga Springs) since I'd need to stay just one night on a Saturday, and that's almost impossible during high season).

Any thoughts from those who have done this would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 24th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Hi, I essentially did this trip once, and drove straight up from Hartford, through Vermont, and into Canada on I-91/Hwy 55.

I stayed over at Sherbrooke and found it very french and eloquent.

My best tidbit of advice is that you cross over the St. Lawrence and drive up the north side of the river...

I crossed at Trois Rivieres and then drove up the SMALL HIGHWAY through fun little towns with magnificent CHURCHES (of all things). I'm not surprised that my new map has "scenic dots" lining the path I took.

I can understand avoiding NYC-north and the Saratoga/Montreal traffic too.

Your instincts sound right on target.

May 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM

I too would suggest that you'd go north through Vermont rather than through NY State. Vermont is so beautiful... You'll be able to find affordable lodging in Burlington Vt, amongst other places, which is also a very nice city.
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!

NorthwestMale: Any recommendation for a hotel if we stay over in Sherbrooke? Although my only concern is that it puts me fairly close to Quebec, and I think I might have to break up the trip a bit more evenly, especially starting near NYC.

BrigitteD: Any suggestions for a moderate place to stay if we go via Burlington? Also, looking at the map, that puts me on Route 89 as opposed to 91. Does that make a difference in terms of best way to continue on to Quebec?

Thanks again. Any other thoughts or tips appreciated.

Jun 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM

Like the others said, you have two options: the 87 through NY or the 91 through Vermont. I've done both routes, the first one on my way to Pennsylvania, and the second to go to Boston. I also live in Montreal and have travelled quite a bit in the province.

I can only comment on the route once you get into Canada. If you take the 87, you would arrive at Lacolle. You could either go through Montreal (Autoroute 10 to 15 to 40 East) and drive on the north shore of the St. Lawrence up to Quebec City. Or you could stay on the south shore (Autoroute 10 to 30 toward Varennes, then 20 East), which is a bit faster but not as scenic as the 40.

If you take the 91, you would arrive south of Sherbrooke. Follow the 55 North until Autoroute 20 East. This takes you through the Eastern Townships, which is a pretty region, and you would take the 20 at Drummondville. From there, Quebec City is about 1 1/2 hours. I have not done this route, so I don't know how long it would take.

I found the drives through NY and Vermont both very nice. I think the border crossing on the 91 is less busy than on the 87. Depending on when you arrive (long weekend, etc.), you could be in for a bit of a wait.

I hope that helps!
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Follow up: Thanks to all the great replies, we have now decided to route our trip up on 91 thru CT, MA & VT.

Any suggestions for stopping points for lunch, dinner, or something special to see along that route (esp. in VT?) We'll probably overnight in the Hanover/Lebanon/White River Junction vicinity.

Thanks again.