Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

4 days in NS - Digby, Yarmouth or Cape Breton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am vacationing this fall in Nova Scotia with my mother (I am also female.)

We want a relaxing time with wildlife and breathtaking views. Two questions:

We are leaning toward mid-September, but will we be able to see peak leaf color season then?

We are flying into Halifax and renting car, but cannot decide between Digby (Evangeline Trail), Yarmouth, and Cape Breton areas. Any suggestions?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Cape Breton - it's spectacular! Not sure about fall colors. i would think October?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Molly. Any suggestions for accomodations?

Also, any particular spot in Cape Breton or just all around the island in general?

Any must-sees?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM
ltt

leave halifax and drive to cape breton via pictou and antignosh area. stay the night around inverness or cheticamp. take your time the next day and drive the cabot trail and spend the next 1 or 2 nights at igonish area. from here you can continue to explore the cabot trail and also go visit baddeck. or, spend one night at igonish and 1 night in baddeck. your last day, go to the fortress louisburg in the morning and then drive towards halifax for your last night.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ltt.

What about the Bras D'Or? My mom is a huge eagle fan and I heard this is the place to see them. Would it be too much to get that in or should we focus on the Cabot trail? Or is it on the trail... don't have my map in front of me.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Tifa, you can take a boat trip out of Baddeck to see eagles, as well as tour the excellent Bell museum. There are many ways to "do the trail". My husband and I stayed a couple of times in Margaree, from there went north to Cape North (Oakwood Manor), then to Baddeck and Louisburg. Be sure and hike the magnificent Skyline Trail - look for moose. You will have a lot of company on this one; it's a popular trail.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Molly - thanks so much; your suggestions are enormously helpful.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM
wow

Hi,Molly & Mom! Another vote for Cape Breton Island! ltt's itinerary is perfect IMHO! Get your NS Travel Guide( Doers' & Dreamers' Guide) from www.novascotia.com
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:37 AM
ltt

out of baddeck i took a wonderful 2 hour sail boat ride on bras d'or. saw quite a few eagles.
the skyline trail is a very pleasant 3 hour hike. you can go in one way (more ruggad) and return on another more paved path. they both end up at the same places on each end. take each one to get different scenes. we saw a moose along the more ruggad path. it's a very easy hike both ways with several places to stop and rest.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

any specific recommendations for particular inns/B&Bs/etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:20 AM

It would help to know your itinerary first. I can recommend Oakwood Manor in Cape North. You can either sleep in a room in the lovely old farmhouse, or in a suite with king bed bed, kitchen and fireplace. Stacey House in Louisberg we also liked a lot. In Margaree, we stayed at Brown's bed and breakfast - more simple than the others, but very reasonable, great breakfasts, personable hosts.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
wow

Sorry Tifa....Tifa & Mom....not Molly & Mom!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

No definite itinerary yet.

Wanna spend a day on the Bras D'Or. I think we wanna head to Meat Cove and the Highland Nat'l Park there. And we wanna do the 3 hour drive around the island. Louisbourg not high on the list, but we may spend some time there, not sure.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 02:45 AM

While Lousibourg wasn't high on my list of priorities when in Cape Breton, I am glad we spent the day to explore. The last time I was there was as a child and believe me the transformation was incredible. If a sunny clear day, your breath will be taken away by the majestic sight of the fortress and how on earth people in that day and age created it and lived by such a rugged shoreline!
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM

I agree with Tanya, Louisbourg is worth the time. We had an incredible day there and I am not a history/war buff. If you decide to go, I suggest you get there early in your day so you can see as much as you want and don't run out of time. We were there at a reasonable time in the morning and they were shoeing us out like ducks at the end of the day.

Also, the park rangers/staff do a tour - it's very interesting and puts it all into perspective. Our guide was excellent. It's a walking tour so you can leave anytime you want, but only some people with some small antsy kids peeled off from our group.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - I haven't posted in a while; I have been terribly busy at work.

Thanks for the recommendations on Louisbourg. May get there early, with alternate plan if we get enough early on in the day.

Any specific places to stay in Meat Cove? I know there is camping there, but any good B&B?
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:31 AM

The B&B I mentioned in Cape North (Oakwood Manor) is very near Meat Cove. I remember Meat Cove as being extremely scenic and isolated - not sure what's up there besides camping. ???
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:12 AM
ltt

i drove up to meat cove last year. it is very scenic. for the best views you have to walk through the camping area and there is a sign that that you can't unless you are paying to camp.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM

If you stay in Cheticamp, Cheticamp Outfitters is a fantastic B&B. The hostess is wonderful as are her blueberry pancakes. However, she doesn't like guests with motorcycles due to her driveway...it's gravel and steep.

Meat Cove is very remote and I think it only has camping. When you get there, you will see a Canadian Flag flying up high on the hilltop. Ask for directions to the trail at the visitor's center. It really only takes 20 minutes to get up there even though it looks like it should take forever.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Dear Tifa
If your looking for any suggestions to stay onCape Breton island and in Baddeck, try any of the B&b's such as the worn door step the tree seat B&B or even try the Inverary Inn which is a very nice hotel inn. As for staying in Meat cove , i wouldn;t advise it . its very Isolated and has no major admenaties. As for a 3 hour drive around it's not clear of what you are talking about . the Cabot trail from Baddeck alone fully around back to baddeck again is approx 6 to 8 hours depending on stops ect. to give you an I dea of driving times down here from Meat cove to Louisbourg is 2 3/4 hours one way from Sydney to Baddeck one way is approx 1 hour sydney to Port Hawksbury is a 2 hour drive one way. The Island may look small on the map but everything is sread out. I would suggest you stay in Baddeck its centeraly located. Also baddeck to louisbourg is approx. 1 1/2 hours one way. I hope this helps. I you need anyother advise email me at cape.breton.island @hotmail.com and I'll be happy to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -