Cape Breton Questions etc.

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Breton Questions etc.

The first time we were in Nova Scotia it was 37 years ago this month on our honeymoon. We stayed at the Digby Pines. Coming from Connecticut we took the overnite ferry to Yarmouth from Portland Maine. The next time was 15 years later with our three children. We again took the overnite ferry and stayed at the Digby Pines. Now at rather the last minute (and so many years later) we want to visit Nova Scotia again in early August concentrating on Cape Breton which sounds gorgeous! My first question is for your recommendation for getting there. My husband thought maybe we could drive this time but it sure looks like a very long drive for me from Connecticut!? Plus we do not have a long time for this trip perhaps ten days at the most.
My husband would like to golf a bit there. We would of course want to see all the sights--drive the trail etc. We don't need real fancy lodging but I would like someplace where I can stare out to sea, renew my soul whilst he is golfing etc--perhaps listen to the waves. Any particular places you could recommend would be so appreciated. We would be willing to move around. So basically advice on getting there and where to stay for starter? Thanks Helen
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Geez, OK, so you HAVE been there before...

I have the feeling that even dear, old, off-the-beaten-path Nova Scotia has changed considerably since you were there - and yet the natural elements of it are perhaps strikingly the same.

Given what this entry says, that your other post doesn't, I think you should drive "the fast way" on the way TO Nova Scotia

(translation: 734 miles from Hartford to Truro, NS via I-84, I-90, I-495, I-95, trans-Canada hwy, etc.)

The halfway point is just north of Bangor, ME... so find a suitable spot for lodging, perhaps between Bangor and the border.

The map claims some scenic driving between Maine and Fredericton, NB, so save that for the next morning.

From Truro you still need to go north to Cape Breton so if you hustle on that 2nd day (after that first night in northern Maine) you can get all the way to, perhaps, Baddeck, NS area where someone else (here at Fodors) will suggest a suitable base camp for you to access golf, and the Cabot trail, as well as your soul renewal locales.

If you made it there by the 2nd night, you could drop anchor for 4 or 5 days/nights, and be content.

As you then meander your way back toward the states, you could perhaps detour to Halifax and/or spend a night in Pictou, and then eventually make sure you get to "Hopewell Cape, NB" (south of Moncton on hwy 114)... and maybe take the slower, more scenic path from Moncton, to Saint John, to Bangor...

The time you have available might fit snug this way.

enjoy!

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

You are so helpful. Thank you so much. You don't think this might be too much driving for an old lady (not that old) like moi? MY husband is in sales in the six New England states so driving is second nature to him.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM

One of Canada's most famous golf courses is in Cape Breton right on the Cabot Trail, Atlantic side - Highland Links. Located adjacent is a spectacularly located and also famous lodge - The Keltic Lodge. Very excellent hiking trail, open to the public, starts at the property and follows the shoreline up a narrow, rocky, wooded peninsula with superb views. Lodge is a bit pricey, but there are other modest to moderate accommodations in the same area - Ingonish Beach and adjacent villages. Several have views out to sea. Easy day trips to Baddeck, and in fact can tour the whole Cabot Trail from here as day trips (I have, on a couple of trips). Google searches will provide details on the golf course and lodge.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:35 PM
wow

Hi, Helen: I grew up in Cape Breton so I can understand your desire to "look at the Sea". I no longer live in Cape Breton but I go back whenever I can.

Have you considered flying to Halifax? You can then rent a car @ the airport & drive to Cape Breton. I wld recommend Keltic Lodge in Ingonish. As mentioned above by Mat, The Highlands golf course in Ingonish is spectacular! You may want to consider going along for the walk when your husband plays the Highlands b/c it is so beautiful. Bring your camera!!