Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

itinerary to nova scotia help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning to visit nova scotia summer of 2012.We are driving from ct.and would spend about 14 days We are both 60 and like culture, shopping, scenery & short wakling trips.We were told cape breton is very beautiful but this will probably be our only trip to nova scotia.We like to explore from locations within an hour from our B&Bs.St Johns is about a ten hour drive.Where should we go next, for best use of time but not be rushed.And what other destinations are a must!!
Nov 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM

Hi, chipl, So... do you mean Cape Breton is very beautiful but we will not have time to see it because this will probably be our only trip to NS and there are so many other NS places we want to visit? Or, Cape Breton is very beautiful and because this will probably be our only trip to NS we have to see Cape Breton? If the latter, then I would highly recommend 4 or 5 days in Cape Breton. Tour the Cabot Trail at a very leisurely pace. Enjoy your "short walking trips". Soak up the scenery & enjoy Cape Breton. It is spectacularly beautiful.

Halifax is an historically interesting city where you can stay at a B & B & explore the surrounding area on day trips.

You may want to consider getting a copy of Nova Scotia's Doers' and Dreamers' Travel Guide which will help you plan your trip.
It is available at:

www.novascotia.com Click on Plan Your Trip
Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM

Definitely get the Doer's and Dreamers...

and trade-in your normal routine to make sure you get a chance at Cape Breton, particularly if this is likely to be your only NS trip.

Starting with Cape Breton, I always suggest choosing a 'base camp' near to Baddeck, and then, at the first hint of a SUNNY DAY, haul *ss toward the Cabot Trail for a circular loop of it, putting you back in Baddeck.

(185 miles and 4 1/2 hours of driving is ROUGHLY what is needed for the full circle from Baddeck, around the loop, and back to Baddeck)

That is just plain and simply what you should do during this ONE trip to NS.

14 days gives you plenty of time for your journey, and I GUESS that I'd endorse I-95 through Houlton on the way IN... (and if time permits, maybe the southern, SLOWER path via Saint John on the way back)

On the way IN, DEFINITELY stop/turn at Moncton, NB and drive down to Hopewell Cape, NB.

IF you can time a NIGHT in Moncton on the way in, then make an effort to see Hopewell Cape first at LOW Tide, and then again, later, at High Tide (possibly the next day???).

AS SOON AS YOU FINALIZE your window of time for the trip... go to this website http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...gion=5&zone=30 and print out the TIDE TABLES for the ENTIRE window of your trip, for perhaps 3 to 5 locations dotted around the Bay of Fundy.

Include Hopewell Cape for sure, then add maybe Truro and Hantsport to your tide table printout. THEN bury the papers in your glovebox (since you're driving) so you'll have them for SURE when you need them. Carefully plot the dates and recognize "Atlantic Time" as the timezone. Don't skimp on a sheet of paper or two - print tide tables for the entire 14 day period.

Nowthen, hoping that you can awaken in Moncton, then maybe drive down to Hopewell Cape for a second time, before continuing into NS.

THE ALTERNATIVE, (IF the tide times just aren't convenient for you)... is to see Hopewell Cape at LOW tide on the path eastward... and THEN, when leaving NS on the way home, getting to Moncton, and then driving south to Hopewell Cape and west from there to and through Fundy National Park on the way back home.

So, Moncton eastward... I like the path from AMHERST, NS... down to Parrsboro, NS... and then along Hwy #2 to Truro, and then. (it's best to cover that on the way eastward, because you will likely be pushing to go faster on the way home)

Truro seems the 'central' spot no matter which way you're going in NS.

I'd go and see Cape Breton first... (see above)... booking, eh, maybe 3 nights in Baddeck... the FIRST sunny day allocated to the Cabot Trail, and the other full day to Sydney and Louisbourg, etc. etc.

Then let Halifax be your other 'hub'. I know nothing about "B & B's" (near) there, so you're on your own that way.

From the Halifax area you'll take a day trip down to Peggy's Cove, and Lunenburg... etc.

Halifax itself offers plenty to see and do... and perhaps another day trip should take you to the shores of the Bay of Fundy on the NS side (maybe the Wolfville area, or farther south if you're game).

You have a great amount of time suitable to get the full effect, and don't forget to save, eh, maybe 3-ish days to begin the long way home detouring along Hwy #114 in New Brunswick, and then via Saint John.

If somehow an extra day or two pops up, then consider a day trip to PEI, but don't forget to save FORTY-THREE-DOLLARS-and-TWENTY-FIVE CENTS for the BRIDGE TOLL coming off the island!!! (LOL)

Hope this inspires you somehow...
Nov 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM

chipl,

I'd have to chime in on doing the Cabot Trail especially since you say scenery is one of your pet peeves. It's goes through some astonishingly varied and beautiful scenery and given your proximity, would be time well spent. Peggy's Cove is also well worth the visit as is Mahone Bay. I didn't have a chance to get to Lunenburg but I'm told by a friend who lives in the area that it's even better than Mahone Bay. Now whether that's a bit of bragging rivalry going on between towns I couldn't say.

HTH
u
Nov 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM

Hi - my spouse and I have enjoyed multiple vacations in Atlantic Canada and enjoy activities similar to those you have noted. My recommendation - same as others above - Cape Breton, especially the Cabot Trail through Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Spectacular coastal and mountain scenery. A number of nature trails and short to medium hikes. Several quaint fishing villages in Cape Breton. Possible bases (and you could choose 2, one on each side to keep your day trips shorter): Baddeck is a small pretty artsy tourist village with a number of Inns and B&B's; I kind of like the Ingonish area - a string of seaside villages offering cabins, chalets, a couple of resorts and some B&B's, and Cheticamp is also possible - an Acadian Fishing Village which now also offers lots of tourist accommodations for people exploring the park. There is also Celtic Culture on Cape Breton, and history buffs enjoy Louisbourg.

Halifax is a vibrant small to medium city with a very nice Harbour District and can serve as a base for day trips to closer sections of the Lighthouse Route, e.g. scenic little Peggy's Cove, charming Mahone Bay and Historic Lunenburg. Spending a few days touring down the Lighthouse Route, staying at a couple of different destinations on route is also a nice way to spend part of your vacation. Lots of charming fishing villages, coastal scenery and some lovely and sparsely used (but very cold) beaches.

The Fundy Shore of New Brunswick is another unique area of dramatic scenery, best appreciated I think at Alma/Fundy National Park and Hopewell Rocks.

There are other pretty and unique spots to explore, but I feel the above are some of the best highlights
Nov 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM

This thread looks useful; I am hoping that we will eventually visit NS. Lots of good info. Thanks.
Dec 14th, 2011, 11:36 PM
LJ

Lunenburg is indeed a very special destination, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and well worth going the 10 minutes past Mahone Bay as long as your are on the South Shore.
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:13 AM

Since you and your wife enjoy culture, I would highly, highly recommend seeing the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo, which runs July 1-8 in Halifax. Plenty of bagpipes and highland dancing, and they always put on a fantastic show. Here is a link to the website: http://www.nstattoo.ca/

The Antigonish highland games (July8-15th) are also fun to take in. http://www.antigonishhighlandgames.ca/home/ I attended these games as a child and was always entertained

I would also recommend a sail on the famous Bluenose II if it will be sailing this summer. http://www.schoonerbluenose2.ca/include/schedule.htm It is undergoing a restoration, but I am not sure when it scheduled to be complete.

If you enjoy nightlife, I would recommend the The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse in downtown Halifax. Plenty of Celtic entertainment and beer to be found here!

Sherbrooke Village is also worth the trip if you are in the area. It's intended to be a pre World War 1 Nova Scotia village. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/sv/index.php
Jan 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM

Here is a link to my Halifax trip report from summer 2010. I hope it's helpful.

http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...rip-report.cfm
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:55 AM

You might consider Halifax and the southwestern loop. Take a look at http://www.destinationsouthwestnova.com/ and www.yarmouthandacadianshores.com. Also:
http://www.destinationhalifax.com/