Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia-Halifax, Lunenburg and maybe Cape Breton

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if you can give me a bit of guidance please? We are planning to spend two weeks in Lunenburg in August. We'll likely stay at least one day in Halifax on the way through, and given our interest in traditional music may go up to Cape Breton the middle weekend.

What would YOU see/do when you were there if we were you, please?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM

So you are going to base yourself in Lunenburg and do a day trip to Halifax and a weekend trip to Cape Breton -- is that right? When we were in Nova Scotia last August, we drove from the tip of Cape Breton to the waterfront in Halifax and it took us 6 hours with two short stops. Lunenburg would be a bit longer. Kind of long, IMHO, for a weekend trip. Just didn't know if you were aware of the distance. Are you able to consider a week in Lunenburg and a week on Cape Breton?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

No. We're going to fly into Halifax and stay there one or two nights, then drive over to Lunenburg, then maybe go up to Cape Breton for a couple of nights.

We have the house and mean to use it as a base.
Viamichelin reckons 5 1/2 hours which is what I was going by.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I do agree it's a long way to go for a weekend.
When I was in Lunenburg last fall, I decided that a side trip to Cape Breton was just too far unless I was willing to spend 3 nights away.
I would suggest that if you mean to use the house as a base, you don't need to stay over in Halifax. I would use your 'time away' to go to the Cape.

I really do think to enjoy the Cape at all you need to spend 3 nights.
Could you do that when you land?

From Lunenburg, it's only an hour's drive to Halifax. I did day trips , without a problem. Most of the trip is on superhighway 103.

Day trips...
drive along the coast to Mahone Bay , a delightful town. ...and carry on further.
Of course, visit Peggy's Cove. I did this on one of my day trips to Halifax.

Another day, Head north on 10 to Margaretsville on the Bay of Fundy to see the high tides.
I was told this was the best place to see the tides.

Turn left out of your driveway and go to the end of the road. There is a nice little beach there. Very peaceful.

And then there is Lunenburg itself. I could have spent days and days and days there wandering the streets and shops.

Be sure to order Dreamers and Doer's, the Nova Scotia tourism book.

I hope you love it as much as I did.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Be aware that Nova Scotia roads don't exactly let you zoooooooooom everywhere at rates of speed common in most other areas. I'm sure the Viamichelin thing would be accurate, but just don't assume that every rural distance of 60 miles can be covered in one hour (indeed SOME can).

If you want more specifics about the tides in the Bay of Fundy, I have responded to a lot of posts, with information, over the years (so just click on my name and look back a bit).

I can't really say 'yay' or 'nay' about Margaretsville for tide viewing. I wish one of the locals would give us the very best, seldom-mentioned spots.

I doubt you'll get anywhere near to Hopewell Cape, NB, but that is definitely a place which brings the impact of the giant Fundy tides right in front of you.

If I were you, I would print out a TIDE GUIDE for various spots on the Bay of Fundy for the entire duration of your two-week trip.

It won't cost anything, and you can have it in the glove box if needed. The info will be very important at the points you could use it.

Just winging it here, I'd print ALL tides for ALL these locations during the entire two weeks when you'll be in NS:

Hopewell Cape
Margaretsville
Hantsport
Burntcoat Head (actual spot of world record tide)

and MAYBE:
Moncton
Truro
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM

Sheila, the Busker Festival is in Halifax in the first half of August. Definitely plan a little time to walk along the harbor and watch the performers. We were there during the festival and really enjoyed it. Some of them were very good.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I have an old friend in Halifax who has offered us some hospitality the night we get there and I would like to take him up on that.

I think I see the Cape trip (which, as a consequence of your advice is becoming less likely) as something in the middle. It was for music and there's actually a music festival in Lunenburg itself whilst we're there, I think

Thank you for the day trip suggestions.

I'm going to sound like a real ignoramus (and I'm reaching for my new book) but what's so special about the tides?

Ah. I see. (I also thought it was in Newfoundland- that's today's lesson, then)

Thanks for the book suggestion. Please have a look at my other thread

Dear Male! I live in Scotland. I am used to slow roads

I will check out your posts, thanks. and the Busker Festival.

Thanks so much.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Sheila, Doers and Dreamers isn't a book to 'read' , it's the very comprehensive tourist guide put out by the province. Sorry I don't have the Nova Scotia tourism website. Try googling it, and ask them to send you the guide.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM

The Bay of Fundy tides are the highest tides in the world. As a matter of fact, they may be named as one of the Wonders of the World. After checking the tide times, it would make a good day trip from Lunenburg to Evangeline Beach near Grand Pre,or Hall's Harbour in the Annapolis Valley. You could cut across the Province to Kentville on Highway 12 and then to Hall's Harbour or Grand Pre. I think it's neat to see low tide and stomp out in the mud.http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/tides/
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I just noticed Kodi gave you instructions to see The Tides at Margaretsville via Highway 10. That is another good choice. I personally take guests to Evangeline Beach especially in August as you might see the shore birds feeding before they migrate to South America for the winter.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant, thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM

LOL - hey, I got the one about Scotland and the slow road...

I'm serious... upon booking the final dates of your trip, print out ALL of the tide data (highs, and lows, twice per day each) for the locations I listed above.

One of the major irritations about TIDE-watching, is the SIX HOURS in between you need to kill, between highs and lows. With a tide schedule, you might be able to come and go to the same spots to see opposite extremes of the tides, while not wasting 6 hours in between.

http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...gion=5&zone=30

There's the website, and if you're clever, you can get it all plotted onto one or two sheets of paper (making sure to get the schedule for the dates of your trip - the whole 'window of your opportunity')
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Dont do it without doing Cape Breton.
You will be missing THE best part.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM

I agree with the post above me, Cape Breton was the highlight of our trip to Nova Scotia. We were interested in the music and scenery, and both were awesome. I definitely think you should make time to go, especially with two weeks on your hands.

I also second whomever suggested a trip to the Annapolis Valley, it was really pretty. Also, Annapolis Royal has a neat and interesting graveyard tour several nights a week.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Sheila, you mentioned you live in Scotland. When I visited Scotland it reminded me of Cape Breton--on a much bigger scale of course.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Scotia, that, is, of course, half the attraction

We are a wee bit further on. flights booked- we arrive in Halifax at lunch time on Friday. I'm almost certain that my friend will invite us to stay, but if he doesn't- one mustn't be presumptious- any suggestions? A good inn is more attractive than a bog standard 4 star chain hotel.

The Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival is the middle weekend we're there. I think that pretty well scuppers any chance of going to Cape Breton. Sad, but we can't have everything. I'm sooo excited by this....
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
LJ

Pardon me butting in, Sheila,( this feels slightly voyeuristic) but since you asked: there are two suggestions I would make for interesting accomodation in and around Halifax.

The Lord Nelson is pricey, but a true glimpse into the past of Halifax, recently renovated and right on Spring Garden Road near interesting stores, the uni and great restaurants.

The other recommendation is far less expensive and a bit out of the town itself and may seem a bit `chain`ish. Bear with me as I suggest The Comfort Inn (on the Bedford Highway). It is clean and cheerful, but it is not its cheapness that causes me to send folks there: Number one, it has this amazing verandah that overlooks the harbour basin, most interesting. Number Two; it is right near The Esquire Restaurant, a totally NS institution and great fun for local colour. Number Three: our daughter`s new husband`s father did the architectural renovation....OK, OK stop at Number Two...
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM

When we were in Halifax last August for a couple of nights, we wanted to stay near the waterfront, but the B&Bs were not near the waterfront. What we did was bid for a 5 star hotel on priceline, and we got the Marriott Harborfront for $75 (US) dollars a night. Of course, we paid for parking (a lot), but this put us where we wanted to be. Just something to consider....
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM

LJ--your post brings back memories. Across from The Esquire used to be a restaurant called "Navarros"--I think. Good spot for clams and chips. While in the area of Bedford, one must go to "The Chickenburger". It opened in the 1940's and is suppose to be the oldest drive-in diner in Canada. Sheila could stop for lunch on way from airport to downtown Halifax. If my memory serves me correctly, from the airport take exit 4B from Highway 102 towards Bedford.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 03:20 AM

Too bad you will not make it to Cape Breton. The music on Cape Breton is the Cape Breton style of Celtic music , you can't find it in many other places.
With 2 weeks on the ground, you can split it so you have one week near Halifax and 3-4 days on Cape Breton.
Go to UTube and look for clips of Cape Breton , or such names as Nathalie Macmaster ; Ashley MacIssac

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information