Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

10 nights nova scotia, pei and new Brunswick?

Old Jul 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Need ur help pls!

Interested in doing a semi relaxing trip with my wife (without the baby) for a little over a week.

We're flying into Halifax but the rest of the trip is wide open. Idea is to rent a car but not sure if best to rent/return in Halifax or rent in halifax and return elsewhere. Wold be interested in suggested recommendations especially sights to visit and beaches where we could relax cor a few days. We are going in the last 2 weeks of August.

Also when coming from nova scotia to pei, is it best to take the ferry (with car) or drive oneself over?

Anything else?

Thanks so much all!
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Ferry versus bridge to PEI depends on where in NS you are starting from (i.e., which is closer to you?)

You are likely to have a wait at the ferry terminal, so factor in extra time there.

You don't pay going TO PEI, you pay LEAVING PEI. Ferry is about 50% more expensive than the bridge.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 09:47 PM

I think I recently answered somebody else's very similar post not long ago, so maybe click on my name and sift back for "Nova Scotia" threads.

Were it me, given what you've suggested, I would take the ferry over TO PEI and then return via the bridge, so as to put yourself in relatively close proximity to Hopewell Cape, NB, which is a must-see for anybody anywhere nearby.

With a full ten nights, I think you should just fly into and out of Halifax. Top priority should be Cape Breton, (northern) NS for perhaps 2 nights, and a circuit of the Cabot Trail... then perhaps the ferry from Pictou to PEI, then the bridge to NB... for at least Hopewell Cape and Fundy N.P.

Maybe after that you drive the circuit of southern NS and back to Halifax through Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove.

Nights maybe spread like so:

1 Halifax
2 Cape Breton
1 Pictou
2 PEI
1 NB (perhaps one more if you get an idea I don't have)
1 Southern NS
2 Halifax

(those in order)

Oh, and print the TIDE TABLES for 3 or 4 locations in the Bay of Fundy for the entire window of your trip and then have them with you in the glovebox!!

http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/tides/times/

Use Hopewell Cape, Truro, and Digby for sure.

The linked table goes through the end of 2013, and be sure to print the tide table for the entire window of your trip, for while it is sometimes not ideal to kill-off six hours between tidal extremes, doubling back later is often convenient.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cranachin and NorthwestMale!

NW - I found your earlier comment - great info!!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale- any recommendations for a hotel in nB?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM

Sorry, can't say that I stayed anyplace significant while I was in NB.

Although I do recall having stayed right next door to the "Tidal Bore Park", where after an 11:00pm outing to watch the Tidal Bore by the light of a full moon across the river, I then delighted in being able to call home to tell them all about it, while everyone was still wide awake.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 09:35 PM

(that was in Moncton, NB)