Reload this Page >

Montreal eats on a budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:25 AM
visitor

Have a free room (long story!) at the Intercontinental Hotel near Old Montreal. I really need some budget type restaurants - sandwiches, salad, etc. type restaurants - I'll be on my own. Would sure appreciate some recommendatins as I am on a very tight budget. Thanks.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Louis

Don't worry, you'll be able to find a lot of places just by walking around.<BR><BR>My personal favorites cheap eats, all below $10 CAD ($6.50 US):<BR><BR>- Caf&eacute; Griffintown (Notre-Dame ouest, between de la Montagne and Guy). Pasta &amp; sandwiches. Closes at 19:00 hrs weekdays, 16:00 hrs week-ends.<BR>- Caf&eacute; Va-et-vient: (Notre-Dame ouest, near Laporte). Salads, sandwiches, burgers.<BR>- Chez &Eacute;mile Bertrand (Notre-Dame ouest, corner de La Montagne) Steamies &amp; poutine, home-made spruce beer.<BR>- Amir (Eaton Center Food Court): best shish taouk in town.<BR>- Ruebin's (Ste-Catherine &amp; McGill College): Excellent smoked meat sandwiches.<BR>- Taverne Magnan: (St-Patrick &amp; Charlevoix.) French-Canadian fare. Many excellent daily specials under $10. Good burgers.<BR>- Mont-Royal hot-dog: (Mont-Royal &amp; Fabre). Excellent greasy spoon, in the heart of the Plateau.<BR><BR>... and 100's of others.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Brian Kilgore

The food court under the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, which is part of Central Station.<BR><BR>Reasonably priced sandwiches that meet the culinary dictates of Quebecois gourmets.<BR><BR>Dunn's, on St. Catherines, for Monteal smoked meat.<BR><BR>There's a great cafeteria (or used to be) in the enclosed laneway at the back of the Intercontinental, where there is (or used to be) a genuine piece of the Berlin Wall.<BR><BR>When you're walking west on St. Catherines, continue as far as Guy Street, and go into the newish-looking development there, and continue to the west end to the bagel bakery, then visit a cheese shop there, and a fruit store there. Make your own sandwiches.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Louis

<BR>BAK:<BR><BR>Dunn's has move to Phillips Square.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:47 PM
lost

Where is Philips Square? Is it in Old Montreal?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Louis

Phillips Square is on Ste-Catherine, on block east of University St. Across from The Bay store (ex-Morgan's).

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Louis

<BR>Forgot to add:<BR>There is a cluster of Noodle Shops on Ste-Catherine ouest, west of St-Mathieu. <BR>Cheap &amp; very popular with Concordia University students.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Tim Pearson

Concordia is pathetic. It's basically just filled with students who couldn't get into McGill.